Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #1,096 of 3,325
I just got a different pair of headphones, the Rockit Sounds R-50, and I can say that, as with the Hf5s, they pair very well with the C3.

I still have to get the BH that many here say pairs well with the C3...

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,098 of 3,325
Helmet, what earphones you using now?

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,099 of 3,325
Quote:
Helmet, what earphones you using now?

I have the Porta Pro's , HD25's, DT700 (which I will be selling), ATH M50 ( which I may sell as well).  Also considering getting the TF 10's.  I had to return my C3 due to scratches on the screen when I got it (what a fiasco).  A new one is on its way however, two and a half grueling weeks later.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,100 of 3,325
Helmet, i fully endorse TF10 with C3, i recently got a used TF10 with silver cable and so far find it sounding great with C3 even unamped... simply happy marriage :-D thanks to H20 for tipping me on TF.

As regards scratches have you inspected the screen carefully because that could be protective screen foil which you could easily remove if did not like. I got similar with protective film having light scratches but so far i decided to keep this as it is because i asked seller to attach screen protector before sending ... Do not know about yours but could be well the case too.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,101 of 3,325
Quote:
Helmet, i fully endorse TF10 with C3, i recently got a used TF10 with silver cable and so far find it sounding great with C3 even unamped... simply happy marriage :-D thanks to H20 for tipping me on TF.

As regards scratches have you inspected the screen carefully because that could be protective screen foil which you could easily remove if did not like. I got similar with protective film having light scratches but so far i decided to keep this as it is because i asked seller to attach screen protector before sending ... Do not know about yours but could be well the case too.

Thanks for the TF 10 endorsement Gintaras.  I will probably pull the trigger on those.

As far as the protective film, I did take it off.  The scratches were very fine, but for a new unit it is unacceptable.  Anyway by next week this time I should have it, hopefully with no scratches.
smile.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,104 of 3,325
UE TF10's are wonderful.  They sounded good with my iPhone 4 and they sounded better with my C3 and they sound even better with the C3/BH combo.  I don't want disco bass, but if I want boom boom I can just hit the Gain switch and.... boom boom.  (I like my music with really transparent mids and non-hissy highs, with a nice bass support that's there without being, well, THERE.)

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #1,106 of 3,325
Hey Dark Helmet!

My Porta Pro's are just stock and to be honest haven't been out of their pouch in quite a while...
So I took the iPod nano 2nd Gen and the C3 out on the deck tonight to compare them both with the PP's. The same music was loaded on both players to make comparison easier all in V0 320K MP3 format. My C3 has all FLAC's on it and I didn't want to convert the FLAC files over to ALAC as they were 24/48 and I wasn't sure how they would convert down to 16/44.1 so the MP3 format is the common ground.

I have recently picked up the JVC HA-S500 CNT headphone when the hype train rolled through town, the S500 is an amazing little can just like the Porta Pro's are, possibly the reason why the PP's have not been getting much love this past little while.
biggrin.gif

When I got the C3 & PP's I was on an Infected Mushroom kick at the time, so I loaded up the C3 with Vicious Delicious, Legend of the Black Shawarma & Army of Mushrooms
 and the Bass from the PP's was amazing for the size of them, with C3 volume around 33/40 when the psytrance is playing.
basshead.gif

Tonight I put Metallica's self titled album otherwise known as The Black Album on the nano and C3. The Porta Pro's sounded thin on the nano, the bass drum from "Sad But True" was there but had no quality or thump. The guitar intro on "The Unforgiven" sounded hollow and Hetfields iconic vocals on "Holier Than Thou" just didn't do it for me. I plugged the PP's into the C3 and fired up the same tracks, the drums were back, the guitar intro sounded like it was there on the deck with me and the "Holier than Thou-hou, You Are!" was there in all it's glory.

I also tested the Porta Pro's with my E11 & E17 driven by the C3, EQ 1 on the E11 or Bass  +4 on the E17. I find the bass boost on these little amps really fills in the sound of the PP's. They are a bass headphone to start with but amping adds that little bit more that the C3 does not provide on it's own with the basically  unuseable EQ settings.

Then I tested the S500's with the C3 and the E11 / E17 and same tracks, much nicer than the PP's, bass is richer and deeper with out drowning out the mids. Then again these are a closed back headphone with a 40mm driver vs a 30mm one.

Hope that is what you were looking for Dark Helmet, no "Audiophile Jargon" I am still learning to speak / understand it...
biggrin.gif

In my opinion most headphones will benefit from the C3 being amped through a FiiO or C&C amplifier.
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #1,107 of 3,325
Hey Dark Helmet!

My Porta Pro's are just stock and to be honest haven't been out of their pouch in quite a while...
So I took the iPod nano 2nd Gen and the C3 out on the deck tonight to compare them both with the PP's. The same music was loaded on both players to make comparison easier all in V0 320K MP3 format. My C3 has all FLAC's on it and I didn't want to convert the FLAC files over to ALAC as they were 24/48 and I wasn't sure how they would convert down to 16/44.1 so the MP3 format is the common ground.

I have recently picked up the JVC HA-S500 CNT headphone when the hype train rolled through town, the S500 is an amazing little can just like the Porta Pro's are, possibly the reason why the PP's have not been getting much love this past little while. :D

When I got the C3 & PP's I was on an Infected Mushroom kick at the time, so I loaded up the C3 with Vicious Delicious, Legend of the Black Shawarma & Army of Mushrooms
 and the Bass from the PP's was amazing for the size of them, with C3 volume around 33/40 when the psytrance is playing. :basshead:

Tonight I put Metallica's self titled album otherwise known as The Black Album on the nano and C3. The Porta Pro's sounded thin on the nano, the bass drum from "Sad But True" was there but had no quality or thump. The guitar intro on "The Unforgiven" sounded hollow and Hetfields iconic vocals on "Holier Than Thou" just didn't do it for me. I plugged the PP's into the C3 and fired up the same tracks, the drums were back, the guitar intro sounded like it was there on the deck with me and the "Holier than Thou-hou, You Are!" was there in all it's glory.

I also tested the Porta Pro's with my E11 & E17 driven by the C3, EQ 1 on the E11 or Bass  +4 on the E17. I find the bass boost on these little amps really fills in the sound of the PP's. They are a bass headphone to start with but amping adds that little bit more that the C3 does not provide on it's own with the basically  unuseable EQ settings.

Then I tested the S500's with the C3 and the E11 / E17 and same tracks, much nicer than the PP's, bass is richer and deeper with out drowning out the mids. Then again these are a closed back headphone with a 40mm driver vs a 30mm one.

Hope that is what you were looking for Dark Helmet, no "Audiophile Jargon" I am still learning to speak / understand it... :D

In my opinion most headphones will benefit from the C3 being amped through a FiiO or C&C amplifier.
:beerchug:  

Thanks TD that's what I was looking for. I got the PP's thinking they would be a good match for the C3 and my BH.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #1,108 of 3,325
FYI: i find TF10 particularly benefiting from C3 midcentric presentation, really a good match here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back