Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Apr 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #991 of 3,325
HELLO GUYS!

This is mah first post here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, i was planning to buy the C3, (waiting for a reply from a fellow forumer to sell, if not, i'll buy it from eBay.)

The huge problem is, i'm trying to figure out which amp i should go for. I'm contemplaying between the C&C BH or  Fiio E11. Thoughts?
confused_face.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #992 of 3,325
Quote:
HELLO GUYS!

smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, i was planning to buy the C3, (waiting for a reply from a fellow forumer to sell, if not, i'll buy it from eBay.)

The huge problem is, i'm trying to figure out which amp i should go for. I'm contemplaying between the C&C BH or  Fiio E11. Thoughts?
confused_face.gif

C&C BH. It will provide you with a much more noticeable difference in terms of sound quality. 

You won't regret your decision. 
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #993 of 3,325
Alright, i'll see what i can do. Considering i'm still waiting for the C3.

Sorry if this has been asked, but where do you guys get different cables for the amp - music player? Cause the one i saw being supplied along with the C3 is just the regular ones. Do they make a huge impact sound wise? Aside from being aesthetically cooler?

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #994 of 3,325
Quote:
Alright, i'll see what i can do. Considering i'm still waiting for the C3.

Sorry if this has been asked, but where do you guys get different cables for the amp - music player? Cause the one i saw being supplied along with the C3 is just the regular ones. Do they make a huge impact sound wise? Aside from being aesthetically cooler?

I picked up the SMSL W3 cable from eBay, mine has been modified as the cable is really stiff. (A page or two back is my pic of the C3, E11 and W3 cable.) Personally *I* cannot hear a difference from any of my other DIY cables, most likely because all my DIY's use a quality wire to start with.

The SMSL W3 cable is a nice looking cable, there have been some links posted back a bit of other cables that look great too, If you get one, and you know you want too, 
biggrin.gif
 let us know it sounds to you.

Just watch out for the ones with the tape on one end...
Never mind that was from another thread. 
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the Club! It's a great little player with a unique character that we learn to love!
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #995 of 3,325
Quote:
HELLO GUYS!

smily_headphones1.gif

confused_face.gif

+1 on BH, great with C3. i have it and love it.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #996 of 3,325
Quote:

+1 on BH, great with C3. i have it and love it.

Thanks! I'm gonna go with this :p

Quote:
The SMSL W3 cable is a nice looking cable, there have been some links posted back a bit of other cables that look great too, If you get one, and you know you want too, 
biggrin.gif
 let us know it sounds to you.

Just watch out for the ones with the tape on one end...
Never mind that was from another thread. 
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the Club! It's a great little player with a unique character that we learn to love!
beerchug.gif

tape? :S what tape :frowning2: you're killing me
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #997 of 3,325
Quote:
 Thanks! I'm gonna go with this :p

tape? :S what tape :frowning2: you're killing me
eek.gif

Don't panic, nothing to worry about, it was from another thread where some believe that wire has a direction, and me just trying to be funny... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #998 of 3,325
Quote:
Don't panic, nothing to worry about, it was from another thread where some believe that wire has a direction, and me just trying to be funny... 
biggrin.gif

Grrr. Damn troll. hahah. I'm kidding bro.
L3000.gif
And i checked the cable, indeed it is a nice cable..
basshead.gif
But still trying to decide between all the techs this year.... (PS4, HTC One, PMP, DAP) oh god. Bye bye wallet.
triportsad.gif

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys, appreciated.
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #999 of 3,325
I am not good at explaining what I hear, but from what I own I can list them in order of preference:

Laptop > NuForce Icon HDP > AKG Q701 (foobar wasapi flac 16-44.1)
Colorfly C3 > Sennheiser Momentum (flac 16-44.1)
iPad Mini > Sennheiser Momentum (alac 16-44.1)
Laptop > Sennheiser Momentum (flac 16-44.1)

Straight from laptop to Momentum is just terrible sounding, which is what led me to search for a dap in the first place.

Out of C3 and Mini they sound exactly the same. Both deliver very good sq. I was hoping C3 would destroy Mini in terms of sq but there was no difference at all. This makes me sad because I was going to buy iPod Classic 160gb when I read in this forum that C3 > Classic. I went with (assumed) better sq than (known) features and storage but I know now I should have bought Classic. I've been enjoying C3 but it's so finicky at times. Just now I ran the battery dry and tried plugging it in but it wouldn't turn on or charge. I was at school so I didn't have a pin to try resetting. I found one in some bulletin board and finally was able to reset it. Another thing that happens to my C3 (so far no one experiences this but me) I can not plug usb to laptop and connect it or even charge it. My laptop says unknown device or something and shuts it off then my C3 freezes at startup. It doesn't matter much right now other than I can't use the extra 4gb in internal memory but in the future I have no ability to upgrade firmware.

My favorite system goes to Laptop > NuForce Icon HDP > AKG Q701. There's so much clarity and detail. But the downside is I can only listen at home.

I would like to try C3+BH but I'm afraid I am just throwing money away. Since I can't really tell if C3 sounds better than Mini like most of you guys who said it does, those same guys would say BH improves C3. Maybe I'm not tuned to hear what you guys hear. This also makes me sad...

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,000 of 3,325
Hmm. So, I was having difficulty with some .cue files being blank and not allowing the music to be played. It turns out that the C3 doesn't support replay gain. I removed the offending lines, and now it all works well. 

Also, post #1000! (couldn't resist)

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,001 of 3,325
Dsp, that sounds weird because i find C3 sounding better to my ears than iTouch and iPad i have. However c3 unamped might sometimes be less involving and thin. I now have Rwak but i still use c3 on the go and in office and find it fun to listen.

One issue i am sure is personal taste for sound, what is good for me might not be good for you. Today i returned Mutek dsd dac and kept my trusty Rega dac which i found more involving and analogue sounding despite Mytek costing twice more. But there are some people who upgraded from Rega to Mytek and found the latter much better for them. This does not mean much except that for me Mytek just was not my cup of tea.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,002 of 3,325
Great tip Spartan!
Congrats on the 1K!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,003 of 3,325
Hmm. So, I was having difficulty with some .cue files being blank and not allowing the music to be played. It turns out that the C3 doesn't support replay gain. I removed the offending lines, and now it all works well. 

Also, post #1000! (couldn't resist)

Spartan, can you elaborate in more detail, i have some flac files hang up when going from one song to the next...

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,004 of 3,325
Quote:
Great tip Spartan!
Congrats on the 1K!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately, it's the thread's 1000th post, not MY 1000th post (Still a long way off.) 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Spartan, can you elaborate in more detail, i have some flac files hang up when going from one song to the next...

I'll try.

I have a few albums which were ripped as single FLAC files with .cue files. These had replay gain. 

REM GENRE xxx
REM DATE xxx
REM DISCID xxx
REM COMMENT ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb4
PERFORMER "xxxxx"
TITLE "xxxx"
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN -6.34 dB
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK 0.977386
FILE "xxx.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "xxx"
    PERFORMER "xxx"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -2.93 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.948639
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

Continuing to the end of the album.

The way the C3 handles the single FLAC file with the .cue file is that one would click the file and then select a track. With the .cue files with replay gain however, the list of tracks would show the music symbols and then blanks where the tracks would be. Selecting the blank would do nothing. 

I figured that the replay gain might be the problem, since I had a few other albums ripped as single FLAC files with .cue files WITHOUT replay gain and they worked fine. So, I deleted the replay gain lines. 

REM GENRE xxx
REM DATE xxx
REM DISCID xxx
REM COMMENT ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb4
PERFORMER "xxxxx"
TITLE "xxxx"
FILE "xxx.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "xxx"
    PERFORMER "xxx"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

Continuing to the end of the album.

I then tried to play the file and the track list displayed correctly and selecting a track played properly.

I hope this helps. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,005 of 3,325
Unfortunately, it's the thread's 1000th post, not MY 1000th post (Still a long way off.) 
rolleyes.gif

TapaTalk 2 on the phone does not show users post count unless you look at their profile... I just assumed. :p All is Good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back