Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Feb 16, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #706 of 3,325
i will try to convince her that ZO2 is nice amp especially since she likes mindblowing bass 
redface.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #707 of 3,325
thanks, i was just curious about this rockboxing for my daughter .... to save me from purchasing the second BH amp :triportsad:

I think that's in inevitable, unless you give her your BH amp. And I cannot see that happening anytime soon. :p

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #708 of 3,325
H20, right now listening to Sting album Nothing like the sun... amazing, marvelous, so delicious and so real. the problem with daughter is she once wanted good hifi and i bought her Cambridge Audio rig and monitor audio silver rx speakers... but she more and more uses portable ... so if i buy her BH what to do with that rig? once i asked her about selling that CA rig she did not agree but i cannot see how a very good entry level high-end is collecting dust... only cables there cost more than portable setup i have right now.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #709 of 3,325
and i am happy to see more high-end gear makers entering portable and earphone industry. love it, these guys really know what we need. i so much appreciate EB50 and highly recommend you try them, guess you will be so much surprised what can be achieved for slightly over 200$.

check this out: http://www.avguide.com/blog/ces-2013-headphones-headphone-related-electronics-part-3-hi-fi?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-72

http://www.avguide.com/blog/first-listen-meridian-explorer-usb-dac?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-72

http://www.whathifi.com/news/meridian-introduces-£250-explorer-usb-dac-headphone-amp

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #710 of 3,325
and to better understand HiFi-er madness check out this digital playback guide... now think what will happen to your wallet if high-end leaders will move into portable audio too :))))))

http://media.avguide.com/BG_Digital_Source_Components_2012.pdf

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #712 of 3,325
threelury, i prefer Normal EQ, but some people like Jazz EQ. it's a question if your IEMs are too bright or not. for me neither EQ worked so i left it on Normal.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #713 of 3,325
As I said a few weeks back. I think the Rock EQ is mixed with Jazz EQ. I listen to rock eq on any device, but on the C3 the Jazz has the sound i like best.
So, I'm using Jazz EQ all the time. I consider it the best for C3.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #714 of 3,325
I think what we are seeing (hearing?) here is a difference in listener, not of the player itself.  Some people like a lot of bass, some love midrange, some like lots of upper (not shrill, but upper) end, and some like well-modulated across the spectrum.  I run flat EQ on everything, as that gives the best sound for what I want to hear.  But, when I was young, I had a big EQ box hooked up to my system and I loved tweaking the sound to find things within the spectrum.  It may not have been "right," but I liked that type of sound.  Now I just want to hear the music as the artist intended.  And the kinds of music I listen to (1960s-70s like Beatles, Traffic, early rock Dylan, Byrds, Band, Buffalo Springfield, Steely Dan, Van Dyke Parks, Beach Boys, Mamas and Papas) and late 70s-mid 90s like Tears for Fears, Marshall Crenshaw, Aimee Mann, Elvis Costello, Cure, Todd Rundgren, etc.) sound just fine using the C3.  I don't listen to material that requires big bass, and I really like what's going on "in the middle," which is where most of the music I listed is really happening.  I guess what I'm saying is that I like nuance, and the C3 delivers that.  I can hear all of the middle stuff, yet I can also hear the upper register stuff in the far left and far right soundstage, while still being able to hear the lower end where the sound engineer placed it.  The iPhone's sound is nice, but it just doesn't seem as clear across the spectrum, or as smooth, and the vocals seem slightly harsher.  And placement of instruments/vocals within the soundstage seems more defined with the C3.  

Now, that said, if you listen to different types of music than I do, or like lots of EQ, this player may not be for you.  And that is certainly all right.  Everyone likes different things.  But one thing I noticed while reading through the entire thread was that many people suggested that the C3 needed getting used to, after using a different sort of player and hearing a different sort of sound.  So, to anyone who thinks after purchasing one that uggh, it's not for me, I suggest listening for an hour or two, and then comparing it, after that, to what you had been using.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

Or you may just decide to sell it and move on.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #715 of 3,325
Hey guys, just got the delivery from Singapore! The C&C is here.

First...two words...

HOLY Schiitt!

This thing is tiny! Fits PERFECTLY against the C3.

Second...two words...

HOLY Schiitt!

IT SOUNDS FANTASTIC! The sound stage opened up...not just a little...I mean by a lot! I'm playing with the dip switches in the back. I personally like a lot of gain...comes from playing in a rock band for years...I dunno...

I am completely wowed by this little thing! I put on a various genre mix of rock I put together and my eyeballs are bugging out here.

Mids are brought forward more, the gain is fantastic, and with the LF switch hit...it's just enough bass for me. Nothing crazy. I'm pushing these Aerial 7 Royale's now and have the Heir Audio's up next.

I can't say thank you enough to the guys who FOUND this little match up!

The build quality is also great...solid case, good switches, etc.

I had no idea that it had two OUT's! Another great thing!

The only and I mean only complaint I have is that the pressure of the OUT 1 socket isn't too firm. The plug on the full size cans can come out if I don't be careful. But all in all...I'm happy as can be!

Great find and I DEFINITELY recommend getting this if you have a C3!

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #716 of 3,325
Olddude, fully agree.

Icefalkon, welcome to the club of faithfull :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #717 of 3,325
Gintaras- I've been looking at the C&C, trying to figure out if it would make that much of a difference with my triple fi's when I go out a-walking with my C3.  Part of the issue is bulk (double the size) of the equipment; part is sound quality, as I really like the C3's "flavor."  I would most likely run the amp flat, and from what I've been reading, many people use the switches to change the sound to suit themselves.  What I would like (beyond the ability to alter volume with a knob as opposed to the C3's touch screen) is more clarity of the kind I am already getting with the combination of my IEMs and the C3.  I know you like your setup, I guess I'm asking if you are keeping the C3's sound or are you hitting the buttons to alter things?  I've read all the reviews on the C&C thread (I've read the majority of the thread, in fact), and this is the sticking point for me.  Wider and clearer and more placement are what I would like, more treble or bass (in and of themselves) I would not.

Any thoughts?  Anyone else care to weigh in, given my parameters?  Thanks.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #718 of 3,325
Quote:
Gintaras- I've been looking at the C&C, trying to figure out if it would make that much of a difference with my triple fi's when I go out a-walking with my C3.  Part of the issue is bulk (double the size) of the equipment; part is sound quality, as I really like the C3's "flavor."  I would most likely run the amp flat, and from what I've been reading, many people use the switches to change the sound to suit themselves.  What I would like (beyond the ability to alter volume with a knob as opposed to the C3's touch screen) is more clarity of the kind I am already getting with the combination of my IEMs and the C3.  I know you like your setup, I guess I'm asking if you are keeping the C3's sound or are you hitting the buttons to alter things?  I've read all the reviews on the C&C thread (I've read the majority of the thread, in fact), and this is the sticking point for me.  Wider and clearer and more placement are what I would like, more treble or bass (in and of themselves) I would not.

Any thoughts?  Anyone else care to weigh in, given my parameters?  Thanks.

man, considering all your issues you listed in your wish list i believe C&C is made 4U, you will love it. amp is about the same size of C3, fairly light and very well built. i take this with me to my office and find no issues. of course this is not best for jogging or gym but otherwise pretty portable setup indeed.

concerning me, i am not messing around much. my C3 is set to Normal EQ, C&C in high gain mode LF on and SF off gives me best of both worlds. C3 with BH is most revealing and neutral sounding combination which is closer to analogue sounding.

i personally love what i hear a lot and marvel at C&C ability to increase stage and inject life like, very much recommended amp and setup :)

also be realistic and do not expect portable player or amp to sound like a full blown mega buck system powered by expensive tube separates with a 4 way speakers... in other words be realistic about your expectations :)))))))

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #719 of 3,325
I kinda miss selling my C3 to get an iPod 120GB.

Wish I had the cash to keep both. 
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #720 of 3,325
:)  I don't even want a high-end home setup- my wife wouldn't let me play it at a volume I would find pleasing.  I just want good sound when I go walking.  I have an Acura TL and play FLACs with its sound system (high-end for original car equipment, does DTS and 5.1, DVD-Audio, etc.) when I drive.  Guess I'll take the plunge and see how it goes.  After all, I did that with the C3 and am quite happy.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back