Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Feb 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #691 of 3,325
one way i would think about to take memory card and reformat this again into FAT32 no matter it is FAT32 already, then add same FLAC files and test again. perhaps that might help? sometimes silly things give nice results.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #692 of 3,325
I got my colorfly c3! and a fake 32gb sandisk card 
size]
. Turns off the excitement of getting the c3. Fiio E6 sounded worse with the c3. There isn't much difference between the c3 and my Ipod Touch 4G LOD+ Fiio e6. Pretty much a  disappointment actually.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #693 of 3,325
Quote:
size]
. Turns off the excitement of getting the c3. Fiio E6 sounded worse with the c3. There isn't much difference between the c3 and my Ipod Touch 4G LOD+ Fiio e6. Pretty much a  disappointment actually.

How do the C3 and Touch 4G compare using headphone-out only, no amp?

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #694 of 3,325
Don't know about an iPod Touch but my iPhone 4 (which should/may have a similar sound card), when playing the same songs in Lossless format, sounds a bit shriller and thicker than my C3. The C3 sound is smoother, more modulated, and a bit richer than the iPhone sound.  And the iPhone sound, to my ears, has been quite good.  But I just did a "taste test," and I could hear the difference between the two.  It was like drinking nice champagne and good champagne- for those of you who have done that, you know the bubbles are smaller and smoother and fuller.  The nice stuff is good, but the good stuff is... nicer.  :)

Don't know how much better the C3 with an amp would sound, and I certainly never amp'd my iPhone.  I think if I'd kept using my iPhone and never tried the C3 I would have continued to be happy with it.  But having gotten the C3, I have no desire to go back to using the iPhone on my walks. With my triple fi's it's not an "oh my god" difference, it's more of a "that's really much nicer" difference.   I've heard some subtle sounds I couldn't hear before, but on a lot of tracks it's just a ... nicer.. sound.  And that might translate to less ear fatigue.

I've ripped my CD's using XLD on a Mac at "normal" setting.  It has a slider to create larger files, not sure if that would upgrade SQ or just make... larger files.  Before I try a few, anyone want to weigh in on the concept?

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #695 of 3,325
size]

Under blind listening tests I couldn't tell my c3 apart from the imod using the headphone out. But it looks great and is easy to drag and drop music onto and it'll take a memory card.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #696 of 3,325
Quote:
I've ripped my CD's using XLD on a Mac at "normal" setting.  It has a slider to create larger files, not sure if that would upgrade SQ or just make... larger files.  Before I try a few, anyone want to weigh in on the concept?

Quote:  Flac 1.2.1 Wiki...
libFLAC uses a "quality" parameter that varies from 0 (fastest) to 8 (smallest). (The compressed files are always perfect "lossless" representations of the original data.) Although the compression process involves a tradeoff between speed and size, the decoding process is always quite fast, and not very dependent on the level of compression.

From what I read, I believe it is just a file size thing, and has no effect on SQ, "Normal" was suggested in a few other forum's to keep maximum compatibility for the file across all devices that might play it.

Your choice...

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #697 of 3,325
Did a blind test too. Admittedly, the colorfly c3 sounds abit richer. However, being used to the Ipod touch 4g, using the gr06 with the colorfly c3, sound became too thick and rich that i percieved it to be more muddier than the ipod touch combo. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #698 of 3,325
Quote:
size]

weird... i have at home Ipod touch 5G, iPhone 4G, Cowons and C3. of all C3 sounds smoothest and bests any of iPods, iPhones or Cowons... what you really do not realize during first listen how much C3 changes sound to bring stage and layer detailing properly. many concentrate on artificial warmth and richness while this comes at expense of losing naturalness and digitalization of sound.

i think you must experiment with various IEMs and also consider BH amp which will re-open whole music nirvana to you.

i just cannot believe we have different C3 and iPhones/iPods... what i admit none of iPods or iPhones we have is modded or rockboxed... but i doubt this will change much in listening experience because what C3 brings is lucidity, stage, detail layering and fairly neutral yet analogue sound and black space background. 

i can imagine iPhone sounding meatier more pleasing on first comparison but the more you will be going forth and back the more you will be willing to listen to C3.

for me iPhone could not match any of my Cowons which are much better players and C3 knocked all my Cowons out of water.

all IMHO and based on first hand experience.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #699 of 3,325
weird... i have at home Ipod touch 5G, iPhone 4G, Cowons and C3. of all C3 sounds smoothest and bests any of iPods, iPhones or Cowons... what you really do not realize during first listen how much C3 changes sound to bring stage and layer detailing properly. many concentrate on artificial warmth and richness while this comes at expense of losing naturalness and digitalization of sound.

i think you must experiment with various IEMs and also consider BH amp which will re-open whole music nirvana to you.

i just cannot believe we have different C3 and iPhones/iPods... what i admit none of iPods or iPhones we have is modded or rockboxed... but i doubt this will change much in listening experience because what C3 brings is lucidity, stage, detail layering and fairly neutral yet analogue sound and black space background. 

i can imagine iPhone sounding meatier more pleasing on first comparison but the more you will be going forth and back the more you will be willing to listen to C3.

for me iPhone could not match any of my Cowons which are much better players and C3 knocked all my Cowons out of water.

I can hear some sound elements in C3 which I have never heard them in iPod or Sansa Fuze.
In general, C3 has a very rich, detail and thicker sound comparing to iPod Classic or Sansa Fuze.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #700 of 3,325
Quote:

Hmm. I see. Will try to listen more and doing more comparison with the c3. 

Have you guys have any problems with hissing on the c3? I heard this annoying hissing in the background of Hans Zimmer Inception soundtrack. Maybe is the recording? 

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #701 of 3,325
theelury, yes, sometimes you can hear hissing... this is most likely recording quality. i had not issues with C3 but noted a few Flacs i have been suboptimal quality. can happen.

yes, i never could find with iPods or iPad players... they are Ok for casual listener but when you come from a proper system and visit live concerts regularly iPod stops being a good source for you. Cowons are so better but digital sound on them is still pretty apparent and EQs while good to have are not solving all problems and even add a few.

sorry, another part of post about doubleamping with ZO2 was not for this forum.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #702 of 3,325
now listening to The Moody Blues album Days of future passed... so lovely and so beautiful masterpiece, one of the best older rock symphonic and classics, a must have. my C3 combo does a pretty good job here and enjoy listen to it at least no less than on my hifi rig. amazing....

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #703 of 3,325
guys, can someone tell me what is rockbox and what for you would do that jailbreaking... also will it work on iPod touch 5G and iPhone 4G?

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #704 of 3,325
guys, can someone tell me what is rockbox and what for you would do that jailbreaking... also will it work on iPod touch 5G and iPhone 4G?

Pretty sure rockbox is not supported for ipod touch or iphone.

http://www.rockbox.org/

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #705 of 3,325
thanks, i was just curious about this rockboxing for my daughter .... to save me from purchasing the second BH amp 
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back