Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Feb 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #556 of 3,325
Nicely put! LOL

I'm a big fan of both good whiskey AND dark chocolate! LOL...especially together!

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #557 of 3,325
Quote:
I guess the easiest way to say the difference would be to say that the C3 has a "deeper" sound with the Wall and DSOTM. With the iMod, it didn't give you the feeling of being IN the music as much as the C3 did. I was going back and forth (my wife actually unplugging and replugging). At one point I had her turn up the volume on both and the differences were more pronounced. With the C3, there was more depth and feeling of the songs. Now don't get me wrong...it wasn't like being on mesc back in the day listening to Floyd...but it sounded a little better than the iMod. Another word I would use is...richer...the sound was richer with the C3. 

Now if this little $80 unit can do this...why the hell is the price jump to the AK100 so immense? It's not the internal components I'm told...so what's the deal? I am SO hoping that the FiiO X3 can do this...but even better!

Quote:
That richness characteristic is also present in CK4+.. The best way I can describe CK4+( C3's older brother), is highly potent around the mid range, even more so than C3. Similar to drinking straight whiskey or consuming dark chocolate. Imagine C3 but the pane window is a touch misty, while CK4 is like looking through freshly polished glass.

Sometimes it's too much, it can over cook / flood with clarity. Nice on the ears though in the right doses.

Quote:
Nicely put! LOL

I'm a big fan of both good whiskey AND dark chocolate! LOL...especially together!

Thanks for the impressions guys.
smile_phones.gif

I'm also a big fan of good whiskey and dark chocolate, but sadly,  I can't have the whiskey anymore...lol

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #558 of 3,325
Quote:
Nicely put! LOL

are we gonna to convert into a whiskey & dark chocolate appreciation forum? LOL

jokes aside C3 found its home with me. X3 must be really so good to force me upgrade from C3...
i trust very much H20 when he describes CK4+ vs. C3 but even then i do not feel this will be enough to justify the upgrade path for me.
perhaps one day i will go out of my freaking mind and will buy Terra player... however when i think about the need to convert my FLAC collection into WAV i suddenly lose that enthusiasm. i am not saying C3 4ever but i am sure we will be friends for long time. the only issue is what to do with my S9 now since i develop addiction to C3 sound signature, looks like no going back sadly i have to realise this
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #559 of 3,325
CK4's true form comes from it's line out, the headphone out alone is not a tough competitor for C3 which displays better balance. Once you use the line out with decent amp... bye bye C3 .:)

They actually sound more similar than not.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #561 of 3,325
Quote:
hi  where can I get the C3 in the states?  Cant seem to find any dealers around

You won't I believe...I had to get mine from a member in Israel! 

Worth the wait though!

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #562 of 3,325
Hello !

Is the C3 able to drive the Sennheiser HD-449 without amp?

I don't want to throw another piece in the line, because a good one will be expensive, and a cheap one will alter the sweet sound that I read the C3 has (didn't listened to it yet, it's in it's way to me as we speak :) )

Thanks

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #563 of 3,325
Does the cable bring about a notable difference to the stock one ? If so, shouldn't i be getting one as well. hah but my headphones is still pretty much entry level, WS55, might not be a necessity for now.

Quote:

are we gonna to convert into a whiskey & dark chocolate appreciation forum? LOL

jokes aside C3 found its home with me. X3 must be really so good to force me upgrade from C3...
i trust very much H20 when he describes CK4+ vs. C3 but even then i do not feel this will be enough to justify the upgrade path for me.
perhaps one day i will go out of my freaking mind and will buy Terra player... however when i think about the need to convert my FLAC collection into WAV i suddenly lose that enthusiasm. i am not saying C3 4ever but i am sure we will be friends for long time. the only issue is what to do with my S9 now since i develop addiction to C3 sound signature, looks like no going back sadly i have to realise this
confused_face_2.gif

i wish i could understand more of the delight to my C3 since I hardly use IEM's, all I have is some Beverdynamic XP which is my dad's. i wasn't blown to euphoria on my first taste with it(WS55), but i was still believing in this pair of headphones n C3, saying "you can do it !". now i'd need an amp, and also looking for a classical guitar :) . the only upgrade i'm looking forward to is the Colorfly C4, it wasn't praised that much in Headfonia due to certain bugs but i believe it can present itself majestically. its quite about Hifiman 801 vs C4.. there's just something about the C3 and C4 that it was like love at first sight upon seeing it at the first time. i dont know if the design speaks for itself, that being said, i might be skeptical upon seeing cMoy at the first time too.

hah, the Tera player. sort of a legend.
i showed it to some friends, asking how much they thought it was. about 15-20$ was their response. One even thought its some historical or antique device then i told them its 1000$+ piece of mini epicness. I'm curious to try it one day as well, but right at this moment, its quite hard to convince myself that i'd really want it. Mike from Headfonia really liked it tho.

Quote:
Hello !

Is the C3 able to drive the Sennheiser HD-449 without amp?

I don't want to throw another piece in the line, because a good one will be expensive, and a cheap one will alter the sweet sound that I read the C3 has (didn't listened to it yet, it's in it's way to me as we speak :) )

Thanks

by the looks of it, probably you'd need to, it's just my novice opinion. you'd need some extra power to bring in the bass nicely as the flat EQ is really clear, linear and non interfering, i guess you'll pretty much be in the same boat as most of us, finding the perfect amp :wink: . i start to think that C3's are made for IEM's alone or meant to couple nicely with amps for headphones.. the other eq settings on it isn't particularly satisfying.

Colorfly C4's are self sustaining, can't wait to be hearing it 

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #564 of 3,325
Mach, understand you. for me C3 because i do not want too bulky DAPs like C4 or H801, but this is a matter of personal taste. that said yes, in my book C3 needs the amp to sound its full voice... cannot say much about CK4 but that again is larger and i love simplicity of C3 too. design wise i do not care much because there is only one priority and this is sound.

i also hope that gear bug does not catch me in portable audio because i already have pre-order for 14K $$$ tube amp for my room hifi to replace my cheaper 8K amp. and the worst thing is my wife does not know about this yet. hope she can cope with the fact :frowning2:

as concerns Terra i am afraid if your friends would have seen the looks of full size 20K earphones they also would call that grandpa device. you perhaps cannot imagine how weird some expensive high end gear looks like :)))))))) 

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #565 of 3,325
I use C3 with a Smsl sApII TPA6120A2 desktop amp and they have a good synergy. Full bodied bass, nice mids and tamed highs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271108319467?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #566 of 3,325
Thanks for answer.
Actually I don't want big bass. The bass of Sen HD-449 is actually a good thing for me.
So, not considering bass, will the HD-449 need an amp just to sound good and full?
I think that I will find out anyway, when my C3 will arrive, and if I will buy the HD-449 (that I'm not sure yet)

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #567 of 3,325
Quote:
Thanks for answer.
Actually I don't want big bass. The bass of Sen HD-449 is actually a good thing for me.
So, not considering bass, will the HD-449 need an amp just to sound good and full?
I think that I will find out anyway, when my C3 will arrive, and if I will buy the HD-449 (that I'm not sure yet)

You might probably need an amp for Hd449 to sound full and well bodied. You will get sufficient volume levels without it but with an amp it will be better. That is my opinion. I had a similar situation like yours and found it better with an amp.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #568 of 3,325
Quote:
hi  where can I get the C3 in the states?  Cant seem to find any dealers around

eBay.  Sellers are in Hong Kong.  However, they (or at least the one I purchased from, for $115) are not shipping until the end of Chinese New Year- which apparently started last Monday and goes until at least this Sunday.  Make the 10-15 day shipping time even more aggravating.  :)

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #569 of 3,325
Quote:
Thanks for answer.

on a good amp more bass means more tight, detail and precision attack... it should change in quality rather than in quantity IMHO
so i would not fear pairing HD449 with some good amp. amp still can help here i believe.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #570 of 3,325
Quote:
I use C3 with a Smsl sApII TPA6120A2 desktop amp and they have a good synergy. Full bodied bass, nice mids and tamed highs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271108319467?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

nice gear, congrats on your solution. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back