Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #406 of 3,325
By the way I use it with a Pfe-112.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #408 of 3,325
Quote:
Does anyone know if C3 requires any burn in period? I think this dap is too bright and lacks some bass. It is interesting that equilizer differences are more audible than the other daps I use. Rock and jazz are way too bright and normal is lifeless. No bass, no treble. Maybe equilizer settings are set wrong (software). I think C3 needs serious fixes about sound software. I don't like the sound I am hearing. I think on flat eq this dap needs +1 db on bass, +0 db on mid and at least +1 db on treble to sound really flat.

I would say it is very much depending on the type of IEM/Headphone.
In my case, DT880 & SE215 produce heavier bass than  AKGK550.
My default EQ setting in C3 is "jazz".

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #410 of 3,325
Quote:
Does anyone know if C3 requires any burn in period? I think this dap is too bright and lacks some bass. It is interesting that equilizer differences are more audible than the other daps I use. Rock and jazz are way too bright and normal is lifeless. No bass, no treble. Maybe equilizer settings are set wrong (software). I think C3 needs serious fixes about sound software. I don't like the sound I am hearing. I think on flat eq this dap needs +1 db on bass, +0 db on mid and at least +1 db on treble to sound really flat.

i did not notice any. my C3 sings well right out of the box.
i note however that many earphones need burn-in. my Musical Fidelity earbuds burn-in is 50-100 hours, as always with top end gear, damn i hate this burn-in waiting.
so i guess not many MP3 players have burn-in and C3 from my experience does not need this, but my opinion can be subjective.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #411 of 3,325
Pfe has already burned in. I bought it last year. I think C3 is a digital sounding player. I like my Meizu M6 more than C3. It sounds more natural than C3. So C3 is not for me.  

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #412 of 3,325
From my experience Pfe needs burn in. Out of the box it was thin, distorting and little bit bright but after 50 hours or so the sound changed dramatically. Bass is more powerfull now and doesn't distort anymore :)

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #413 of 3,325
Jan 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #414 of 3,325
Quote:
hm, that's something, a new audiophile baby? my wallet feels like getting a hit :frowning2:
i love what i see and what i read about it, but a question will be to wait for real-world impressions ... check this out:
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Astell_and_Kern.611/AK100/Astell_and_Kern_AK100_Personal_MQS___Ultimate_Portable_Hi-fi_Music_Player.14014.html

Since the AK100 costs almost 8X more expensive than C3 (8GB), does AK100 really sounds 8X better than C3?

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #415 of 3,325
Quote:
Since the AK100 costs almost 8X more expensive than C3 (8GB), does AK100 really sounds 8X better than C3?

sorry, appears things arrive later in Europe, this player is already on the market and it appears this does not come as good as its price suggests. so i withdraw my hooray comment. still i found it funny reading pcmag review in which reviewer complained about the musical player not having wifi, camera and else garbage while admitting very good sound... i had good laughs reading it.

i am just looking to add the second player and that's why i got excited seeing apparently old news
blink.gif

anyway, appears price wise and sound wise this damn little thing C3 is winning all over... i am back to earth ...

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #416 of 3,325
Yeah, the AK100 is old news and you pretty much have to shell out more than 900 bucks for it and the RWA mod because it has a very high output impedance, which makes it sub-par for iems and the fact that such an expensive DAP doesn't have gapless playback is really weird. If you want to add a second DAP to your inventory I suggest that you wait till March and get the new Fiio X3 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #417 of 3,325
cyber, the idea i have is to add one more player, perhaps bit more expensive and a pair of cup closed fullsize earphones like Grado, Focal, HiFiMan... just like getting the second rig which will be less portable but still transportable in case i like to take it on the road. i simply do not want spend overly money on buying special headphone amplifier for the rig because a) i will be wired to my system and no move from it b) a good tubed headphone amplifier costs no less than C4 and c) i still want portability to listen to this in another room too and not disturb my girls who might be tired of my music hobby sometimes.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #418 of 3,325
ok Kova, thanks, i did not know about Fiio... but do you think X3 will be way better than C3? all i need is great sounding machine with a few conviniences... i love what i hear about Altmann Tera but i cannot imagine plawing through my music collection on it... absence of any screen on it makes Tera redundant for me and it is too expensive for my liking.. i am not willing to support overly expensive German labour unless i find economic sense in doing so.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #419 of 3,325
Quote:
ok Kova, thanks, i did not know about Fiio... but do you think X3 will be way better than C3? all i need is great sounding machine with a few conviniences... i love what i hear about Altmann Tera but i cannot imagine plawing through my music collection on it... absence of any screen on it makes Tera redundant for me and it is too expensive for my liking.. i am not willing to support overly expensive German labour unless i find economic sense in doing so.

Well, I think it will be - it has a decent DAC and a separate amp section. It actually uses the e17's amp section so it will have a lot more power than the C3. And the fact that it supports 24bit/192khz in multiple formats makes it a winner for me coz you don't get that in cheaper DAPs and the X3 will be circa 200 bucks or slightly more.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #420 of 3,325
Quote:
I'm sorry, and i don't mean to be contentious, but it is stated and known fact that the pfe require absolutely no burn in, this is confirmed by a number of experts, reviewers and Audeo themselves.  This is down to the nature of the design and make of the drivers, what you most likely experienced is your ears adjusting.  

Anyway lets get back to the c3, its just impresses me more every day.

Sorry but I only trust my ears not the others even they are experts or not but what I hear now is way different than it was new. Maybe cable burn-in or driver not sure but not mental or ear adjusting. Imo C3 doesn' have a good synergy  with Pfe-112 with grey filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back