Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Feb 12, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,596 of 3,325
Great price! I purchased from SHENZHENAUDIO at that price and I love it! It is kinda quirky but easy to navigate and sound is good!

gone very quickly ! good that I bought one, prior posting :) 

will share my thought when I receive it

cheers

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,597 of 3,325
Has anyone here tried this with Puro IEM 500 or SRH 440 or Sound Magic ES18? I'm contemplating getting this and since both Puros and 440s are analytical, I'm wondering if this dap will make it too analytical.

Just for perspective, I use the Puros right now with RB'ed Clip Zip and 440 with HRT MS2 and I'm happy with both set-ups.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,598 of 3,325
C3 together with Shure 440 sounds beautiful, clear, detailed with just enough bass (unless you're a bass-head) .... I used them for a while, then got a cheap 2nd had 840 and upgraded ... I think both sound great, won't regret it.  ( H2O will confirm this I'm certain 
smile.gif
 )

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #2,599 of 3,325
  C3 together with Shure 440 sounds beautiful, clear, detailed with just enough bass (unless you're a bass-head) .... I used them for a while, then got a cheap 2nd had 840 and upgraded ... I think both sound great, won't regret it.  ( H2O will confirm this I'm certain 
smile.gif
 )

Perfect!

I've gone back few pages and still reading but couldn't find any mention of Puros yet. Hope someone can put things in perspective for because dap is going to be paired with Puros 99.9% of the times.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,600 of 3,325
To get the fullest out of your player, always max out your players volume when amped, if not the max, then at least 80-90% until you hear distortion in sound.

Do you know if the volume control in C3 is actually a digital attenuation of the data which "cuts the bits" to lower the db before it transports the rest of bits/data to the DAC PCM1770 and after the analog signal to the HP amp out(in the IC see below)?

Or is the digital attenuator untouched by the C3s volume control and the analog signal out of HP out is routed to an other amplifier circuit with its own volume control?

Does anyone know?

Thanks, wd

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #2,601 of 3,325
The PCM1770 is the headphone amplifier in the C3.

The passives highlighted in red are all that is between the PCM1770 and the headphone jack.

I would say that the digital attenuators lower the level of output on the headphone amps in the PCM1770 and doesn't play with the data bits. This is a question that you would really need to ask Texas Instruments about for correct clarification.

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #2,603 of 3,325
  Thank you so much TrollDragon! :) Maybe I will do so - in the meantime I am enjoying my C3 on Vol 40/40 connected to an amp... this should be bit-perfect 

You are most welcome, enjoy the excellent C3!
beerchug.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #2,605 of 3,325
  selling on massdrop now for 49.99 $  
rolleyes.gif

Very very tempting! 
Is this still worth getting? 
Pro #1 - a cheaper C3 that can get you a sound 'similar' or closer to the much more expensive C4
Pro #2 - 'long' battery life and nicely portable
Cons - Many!!! read that buttons (capacitive?) can get not responsive/ weird things happen when dap inside pockets (songs stopped playing)/ folders arrange by date of entry (need some program to set it right)/ pop sound between some songs (with tag)?

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #2,606 of 3,325

Very very tempting! 
Pro #1 - a cheaper C3 that can get you a sound 'similar' or closer to the much more expensive C4
Cons - Many!!! read that buttons (capacitive?) can get not responsive/ weird things happen when dap inside pockets (songs stopped playing)/ folders arrange by date of entry (need some program to set it right)/ pop sound between some songs (with tag)?

Having owned Colorfly C4 Pro, they're not lying saying C3 gets close to the sound of C4, but more importantly the point made about 'similar' SQ is very true as they both share that unique house sound I always mention, light, airy, detailed, great separation, they do sound similar. I mean call it what you will but I had C3 and C4 at the same time, I'll be damned C3's soundstage could sound wider depending on the IEM used. What C4 does have though is much more power and where C3 seemed to cap out in detail C4 would just keep pushing it out as if coming off a feather. (effortless)

About the cons:

1. The buttons on C3 need to be wiped occasionally (there is an included cloth for this) or they can become unresponsive due to fingerprint build up. A quick wipe to clean the front and you're back in business.
  3. There is a slight 'click noise' or little tiny pop between tracks, not very loud but you're aware it happens. We have work arounds to get your folders in order and they haven't mentioned C3 has a lock screen feature which would prevent songs stopping.

Just remember C3 is for IEMs and has limited power, it can drive some headphones, say Shure SRH440 no problem but don't expect miracles.

For $50 if you haven't tried C3 I recommend it due to its unique SQ.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2,607 of 3,325

Very very tempting! 

I bought mine 69.99$ from amazon, connected it to my Cayin C5 and Ostry KC06A and can't be more happy, but please note that I use this setup only while reading, (sitting in an armchair or being in a bed ) so I almost do not use any buttons or put it in my pocket and etc
of course this setup can't even come close to my desktop one, but for its price it is a great choice !

cheers 

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,610 of 3,325
C3 is a good example of an earlier Chinese audiophile player. (before the market became flooded)

Bare bones UI, good unique sound quality, get the firmware stable enough to run, (maybe release one firmware update to appear like they cared) then just bail out completely, never touch it again. No updates, no added features, just cop it sweet and sell units.

I am wondering if mass drop are clearing out stock cheap making way for Colorfly C3 2.0.

That's something I'd love see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back