Colorfly C3 can play gapless
Dec 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hankie

New Head-Fier
First of all let me say i'm most excited about the SQ of my just received new player, the Colorfly C3. I will be reviewing this magical little box somewhere in the near future. Despite the really amazing sound it produces it has some drawbacks which make the player a little less populair. 

One of these issues is the lack of possibility to play live-cd's or other on going music gapless. The only one solution I found around here is to make a rip of a cd in one big WAV file. Well at least that works, but you loose the possibility of skipping tracks. Furthermore, you cannot see which track of the album is playing. I found the solution for this problem: Rip the cd with a .cue file and put these together in a folder on your Colorfly C3. 

After that, when you navigate to this folder on the Colorfly C3, you first only see the big WAV file. Select this and after that the first track of the cd pops up. You now can start playing that track, skip forward and backwards to the other tracks and...it doesn't use gaps between the tracks when the original cd does not have gaps! 

I tried it with Pink Floyd - Pulse and The Carpenters - Christmass Portrait. Both gapless albums and both WAV-files played gapless with possibility of track skipping. Apparently the firmware of the Colorfly C3 handles the .CUE system very well. I guess it works for C4 and C4K too. Maybe one of you guys who owns these DAPs, will confirm this.

The software I use for making a One File WAV with Cue is XLD (Mac OSX). I guess there are also Windows and Linux solutions.

I think a lot of you Colorfly users will find this a most welcome solution to a common problem. And maybe for other DAP-users this solution works too (please confirm here).

Enjoy!
Henny

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 8
For the record cue's also work with flac and mp3 files on my C3, I've not tried other file types but they may work too.

One solution for creating such files in Linux is abcde, but beware that the C3 wont connect so you'll need an SD card reader to get the tracks on the player...

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 8
That sounds great.  I've been wondering how to use CUE with music files.  Do you know of any windows programs that can do CUE?
Thanks!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 8
good to hear suicide_orange that there is software for windows too. I tried Flac+Cue and it works very well, just like WAV. Now I place the Wav+Cue directly in a root-folder (Music) which prefends frm clicking through maps a lot. Afteral is the WAV-file a container of the real songs. I enjoy this method very wel on my Colorfly. Anyone results on other players? Please post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back