coloration? colored?
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

esien

Head-Fier
hi
i've got a pair of W5000 and am really enjoying the sound. but i saw a number of posts criticizing them as being a bit too colored?
how do you know when sound is colored? is it inconsistency in the frequent range? then agian, what headphones give a perfect response? aren't they all adjusted/altered to give a better listening expreiences?
please post what your opinions are

thanks!

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi!

Remember it doesn´t matter one yota what other people thinks about your headphone if you like it! What does it matter if it´s coloured if you just love it´s clarity or whatever?

There is headphones that are indead tweaked to be more "musical" and there is others for studio use that actually want to show all the flaws in the recordings as well. I haven´t encountered a 100 % balanced headphone as of yet. I doubt it exist but I haven´t heard them all of course
smily_headphones1.gif

If it´s ain´t broken don´t fix it.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Almost all headphones are colored somehow. Sennheisers are known to be generally laidback and smooth, warm sounding and Grados are hyped up and exciting sounding, bright and punchy. Audio Technicas are said to have a midrange oriented sound with some nasal qualities that Japanese seem to like.

So no, it is not a bad thing. If you like the sound, then great, and perhaps try to develop it even further. Thats what we all do. Developers just have a different ideas how the headphone should sound and make the music sound better without distorting the original sound too much and preserving the details etc... This is a same thing with hifi speakers, different makers have different ideologies for optimal sound IE Wharfedales sound different from Klipsch speakers, different coloration. Studio monitors are a different story, they aim for completely flat and uncolored sound, but generally are not very pleasing for listening music, (unless one likes the rather analytical sound) though also they vary a bit from maker to maker.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop worrying about how other people think your headphones sound. The only opinion that matters is yours. :O)

true words!
normal_smile .gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop worrying about how other people think your headphones sound. The only opinion that matters is yours. :O)

'nuff said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back