Colorado or bust.
Sep 23, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Colorado is a damned gem. It's my favorite state by a country mile. Second most award-winning beers produced per capita (behind Alaska), 300+ days of sunshine, under 35% humidity year 'round, the highest percentage of advanced degrees per capita in the nation, and a leader in sustainable energy AND low taxes. It is the best of everything.

Don't forgot about the lowest Obesity rate in the Country! No small feat considering all the good beer we have.

Quote:

Longmont is boulder-adjacent and seems like a decent place to live based on the times I've visited it - dunno about real estate prices there though.

I lived in Longmont for about 10 years and I don't think I'd ever go back. My Parents still live there and I visit every few weeks. It's not bad but it doesn't offer as much as other towns. A lot of people that work in Boulder live there.

There are plenty of development communities on the East side of North I-25 that are good deals. You'd have to commute to work but the property is cheaper. Take a look at towns like Fredrick, Windsor, and Severance.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Colorado is a beautiful state and I've enjoyed visiting numerous times.

However, your desire to live in the sticks and be close to civilization reminds me of Oregon. Maybe you've eliminated the state, however, it might be what you're looking for.

What makes Oregon unique is that the state draws a tight urban growth boundary around cities. Once outside the boundary, you can only have one house per five acres, sometimes 20. So the cities do not sprawl. I loved living there since you can get out of the city damn quick and see some countryside. If you live outside the boundary, you're guaranteed few neighbors and lots of nature. However, you can get back into the city pretty fast.

If I were you, I'd look into the tiny communities and rural areas off the I-5 between Eugene and Portland. $180k should get you some rural land within 30-45 minutes of Eugene, Salem or Portland. All three have good medical centers and hospitals and Eugene and Portland have terrific arts scenes. Salem has some arts, too, but it's a government town mostly. Still, Portland is 45 minutes from Salem and Eugene is an hour, so it's not a bad place at all.

I think you'd find the weather to your liking. It'll get hot for a week or two in July or August, but stays cool just about year round. Further, it rarely gets cold enough for ice and snow in the Willamette Valley. You can take your pick of outdoor activities - everything from the coast to the mountains is about an hour away.

Anyhow, give it some thought. I loved it up there and would still be there if it weren't for family obligations here in LA.

x2 on Portland.
0 sales tax and beautiful roses really help your soul
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #18 of 19
Umm.. can I add that Morrison has Red Rocks in it.. that places is my all time favourite music venue.

Plus.. we have a pretty decent crowd for our annual Head-Fi meet, and of course - Rocky Mountain Audio Fest
wink.gif

My wife's Colorado native and I've lived here for 7 years and I think it's great, so much so we spent a week on a road trip around the state around the 4th of July holiday. So much to see.. I encourage everyone to take a trip to Mesa Verde someday, incredible.

I live in the burbs in Lakewood and work in downtown Denver. Public Transport is pretty good, (we're getting a light rail line just down the road in a couple of years too..). Colorado is also one of the less affected states in this current economy when it comes to unemployment.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #19 of 19
Sounds almost as bad as St. Louis :wink:. Violent crime, bad mold/pollen, awful traffic, ridiculously high insurance, #2 for fattest population, STD's and vehicle theft...

Boulder - beautiful, nice town, if you can afford a $million home on the mountain
Colorado Springs - beautiful, clean air, full of athletic outdoorsy people (and a disproportionate number of Olympians. Fairly affordable. What's not to like?
Denver - the only big city in Colorado, I like it, some don't. Despite the location, feels suburban to me for some reason.
Ft. Collins - college town, I like it. Just had 2 friends move there and they're very happy.

Good luck finding an acre of land in or near a nice town for < $180k. American dream? Eh. Colorado's nice though, I dig it.

Keep in mind that Colorado is mountainous, and that means more than good hiking and skiing. It is very possible to live somewhere that you spend 20 minutes (each way) going up/down the mountain just to go to the gas station or grocery store, in good weather, despite the fact that you can see streetlights at night. If you want an affordable acre of land, you'll be out some distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back