Colorado 2010 Summer Meet 8/14
Aug 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #106 of 145

Quote:
Larry, I do have a laptop (Macbook Pro), but it contains only compressed music. I just ordered a couple of albums I could rip lossless (have you heard Regina Spektor - amazing vocalist IMHO), so yeah, let's create another playout station, maybe someone could dump and then remove some lossless tracks for auditioning? Do you (or anyone else coming) happen to have an 3.5mm to mini optical adaptor and cable so I could tap a digital out from the laptop?

On another note, I contacted Centrance about the possibility of loaning a DACport unit for the meet. Centrance are one of *the* authorities on USB audio - I believe their technology was licensed to Benchmark for example, and I think they are happy to get a unit to us (well, you lol). It would be great to listen to this DAC against a couple of other decent models.

I will send you a PM with the guy's contact details and our e-mail exchange. If you are happy to co-ordinate/return, great, if not (I know you are already bringing a lot of stuff), no sweat.

Gerard

Regina Spektor would be fine, among others.  

I already have a DACport that I got from Michael Goodman when I did my review.  And I sent you an email about using it to feed a Travagans Red to drive the Stax, instead of using the Green which has an inferior DAC.  It's a 24/96 USB DAC and I could copy some 24/96 music onto your Macbook from my HM-801 SD card.  I have a special cable to plug into the 1/4" jack on the DACport and the RCA jacks on the Travgans Red amp.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #107 of 145
Larry, if I may inquire, what stats are going to be present at this meet?

Am burning in your exstata (sounds fantastic with the little SR-003, the little person does get painful for me after a while however) and am curious as to what headphones will be run off of it.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #108 of 145

Quote:
When do you get in and where are you staying Friday night?  Maybe we can meet up?

What I should have said was I'm coming home to Fort Collins on Friday night after a week long  trip in Yellowstone and Montana.  Sorry for the confusion.  My family wants me to stay until Saturday but I'm making sure I get home Friday night.  Sadly my laptop died this week and I wont get it fixed before I leave. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #109 of 145

Quote:
Larry, if I may inquire, what stats are going to be present at this meet?

Am burning in your exstata (sounds fantastic with the little SR-003, the little person does get painful for me after a while however) and am curious as to what headphones will be run off of it.

Stax O2 Mk1 and Sennheiser HE60.  I'm thinking about including the Jade, SR-Lambda, and SR-003 or SR-5 gold edition.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #111 of 145
Attendee/gear list updated to post #105.

After some reconsideration I'm revising my gear list again - just minor source component changes that I think will work out better.

System 1: Plinius CD-101 > HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE > Stax OII MKI and SR-X MKIII
System 2: laptop PC > Ayre QB-9 > Nugget Audio B22 & Schiit Asgard > Audio-Technica AD2000, Beyerdynamic T1, HiFiMan HE-6, and Sennheiser HD800

Also I will probably not have the Arcam rDac in time for the meet.

Quote:
Larry, I do have a laptop (Macbook Pro), but it contains only compressed music. I just ordered a couple of albums I could rip lossless (have you heard Regina Spektor - amazing vocalist IMHO), so yeah, let's create another playout station, maybe someone could dump and then remove some lossless tracks for auditioning?

If it might be helpful I can bring the other external hard drive (USB) that I use to back up my FLAC collection, which incidentally includes two of Regina Spektor's albums, Far and Begin to Hope. Lots of more music in my FLAC collection too, more than 300GB worth total, last time I checked (which was a while ago, might be closer to 400GB now.)

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #112 of 145

Quote:
If it might be helpful I can bring the other external hard drive (USB) that I use to back up my FLAC collection, which incidentally includes two of Regina Spektor's albums, Far and Begin to Hope. Lots of more music in my FLAC collection too, more than 300GB worth total, last time I checked (which was a while ago, might be closer to 400GB now.)

And if gspot installs the free Fluke application on his Macbook, he can drag these FLAC files onto the App and it will import them into iTunes and make them playable in the Mac iTunes library or with Quicktime Player.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #113 of 145
What a helpful bunch you all are!

Asr, if you wouldn't mind bringing that USB drive I'll hang it off the laptop, please. I'm thinking about all the albums I've got back home which I won't be able to have a spin through, and it's just too tempting to have more of Regina's songs available (I actually find her a useful reference vocalist, though some recordings are very raw)...

Larry, I'll track down Fluke. It looks like you are already completely familiar with the DACport etc. (hadn't seen your review, nor come across much talk about this product, but will hit search now), so it looks like that's all take care of unless the Centrance DACmini can make a show. It could be fun to compare my vanilla SR-5 with your gold, and also the SR-Lamba. I would be happy to have these normal bias earspeakers 'rotating'/available off my playout station if it's helpful. Cable/adaptor for Stax > Travagan would be great... A load more stuff for you to remember to bring if you decide to go ahead though!

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #114 of 145
It's look like I'm will be able to attend it too
I've got modest rig laptop - squeezebox classic - buffalo DAC - Dinalo - hd650.
I could bring DT990, PPAv2, M3, original PM, Pimeta and a switchbox if anybody will be interested to listen to.
Vlad

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #115 of 145

What a helpful bunch you all are!

Asr, if you wouldn't mind bringing that USB drive I'll hang it off the laptop, please. I'm thinking about all the albums I've got back home which I won't be able to have a spin through, and it's just too tempting to have more of Regina's songs available (I actually find her a useful reference vocalist, though some recordings are very raw)...

Larry, I'll track down Fluke. It looks like you are already completely familiar with the DACport etc. (hadn't seen your review, nor come across much talk about this product, but will hit search now), so it looks like that's all take care of unless the Centrance DACmini can make a show. It could be fun to compare my vanilla SR-5 with your gold, and also the SR-Lamba. I would be happy to have these normal bias earspeakers 'rotating'/available off my playout station if it's helpful. Cable/adaptor for Stax > Travagan would be great... A load more stuff for you to remember to bring if you decide to go ahead though!

I'll bring that stuff.

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #116 of 145

It's look like I'm will be able to attend it too

I've got modest rig laptop - squeezebox classic - buffalo DAC - Dinalo - hd650.

I could bring DT990, PPAv2, M3, original PM, Pimeta and a switchbox if anybody will be interested to listen to.

Vlad

I've not heard a DT990 yet. Cheers!

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #119 of 145
Attendee/gear list updated to post #118.

Just a small favor to ask but if someone could help me load my gear back into my car after the meet I'd really appreciate it, as I recently sustained a leg-related physical injury that effectively limits how fast I can move (and causes more discomfort the more the injured leg is used). In fact, I started pre-packing gear for the meet two days ago, whereas I'd be waiting until tomorrow (Thursday) night to start under normal conditions.

Quote:
I will bring a recabled HeAudio Jade.

want to compare it to the O2 on BHSE.

Just an FYI but my BHSE does not have two Stax Pro jacks so a simultaneous comparison will be impossible - it has 1 Stax Pro and 1 Stax Normal.

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #120 of 145

Quote:
Attendee/gear list updated to post #118.

Just a small favor to ask but if someone could help me load my gear back into my car after the meet I'd really appreciate it, as I recently sustained a leg-related physical injury that effectively limits how fast I can move (and causes more discomfort the more the injured leg is used). In fact, I started pre-packing gear for the meet two days ago, whereas I'd be waiting until tomorrow (Thursday) night to start under normal conditions.

Just an FYI but my BHSE does not have two Stax Pro jacks so a simultaneous comparison will be impossible - it has 1 Stax Pro and 1 Stax Normal.

I'd help except I might need help myself due to my lung disease and fibromyalgia.  I hope you're feeling better soon - it's sucks to be less than 100%.

As for the jacks, he could plug in the Jade to the pro jack and charge it up, then move it to the normal jack and it will play at pro bias volumes for a little while, at least until the higher charge drains over a few minutes.  My WES has a Pro and an HE90 jack, and I'm still waiting on an adapter to let me plug a Stax into the HE90 jack.  

PS:  I will now be bringing a Nuforce CDP-8 (CD player with audio buffer and DSP jitter reduction).  I can feed the RCA into an amp and coax into the PWD.  So with the extra set of outputs I can bring one more amp in addition to the WES, ZDT and eXStatA.  I really should be limiting what I bring, but I have the WA6, EF2, EF5, SAC and Amphora all vying for that one spot.  If I bring the Amphora I can chain another amp into the back of that, and it's easier to pack than the WA6.  It would be crazy but I could go PWD XLR > XLR eXStatA > XLR loop out to WES > RCA loop out to Amphora > RCA pre-amp out to WA6, and then connect the ZDT directly to the PWD RCA out.  Good thing I'm not nuts.

My son will likely be using his Macbook > Nuforce HDP > Millet Starving Student > HD600 and HF-2

I'll bring the DACport > Travagans Red for gspot to use with his Macbook and SRD-6/Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back