Color Screens: Overated?
Jul 1, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 44
I don't use my H10 to view ohotos (my TJ-37 does that extremely well), I think its more of a bragging rights.
biggrin.gif

HA! Mine has a colour screen, your's DON'T. HAHAHAH
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #19 of 44
Useless features like color screens only make me angrier when I see they can't even add gapless yet. Thanks for adding a flashy screen to an AUDIO player. Color text makes it much easier to read than black and white text. :/

It's 2005 - I shouldn't even know what gapless means, since it shouldn't be an issue.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #20 of 44
Honestly, the only reason i got my X5 was storing all the Family Guy/The Simpsons/Smallville Episodes on for long travels and having the color screen to get a step above Ipod users so they can't say anything about my mp3 player sucking.

Me: EWW Ipods suck

Friend: No they dont

Me: I have color screen

Friend: Well mine looks cool

Me: Mine plays video

Then the argument usually ends with them recognising how much better my mp3 player is
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 44
i think if the player plays video or has a built-in camera, then a color screen is definitely useful. but for music playback only, it is pretty much useless as the screen is not very legible under bright sunlight.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
Me: EWW Ipods suck

Nice, mature way to start a conversation.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #23 of 44
I bought (Nov 2004) my iPod photo because of the 60GB HD and the increased battery life.
The colour screen was just an extra - and because Apple have implemented the display of album art badly IMO - either thumbnail with truncated album names or just 3 seconds of full screen art - I have disabled album art.
No photos on my iPod - that is what my Motorola A1000 is for.
However, to these (extremely long-sighted) eyes it is light-years ahead of the blue or green LCD screen on my NJB3, which for me is completely unreadable without glasses or the optimum lighting conditions.
So yeah - colour screens improve usability for me.

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Nice, mature way to start a conversation.
rolleyes.gif

i doubt he actaully said that in real life. and beside its his friend, not the president.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #27 of 44
I bought my x-5 for the build and audio quality, the fact that it has a colour screen to me is a bonus, as it it about the same price and battery life of the other players.

Watched a couple of episodes of ROD on it - not to bad for a short video
icon10.gif
but like I said it is a dap first and i would have bought it colour screen of not.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #28 of 44
the problem with this arguement is that it has zero merit. Because its not a question of money or battery life anymore. Color screens work just as well as mono, some companies get it working better than mono(Cowon). I think that it all depends on what you really need a music player for. Color screens look alot better to look at, without a doubt in my mind whether it comes to cell phones or mp3 players. But its also a gimmick, a way of making more money. It wont affect the performance, but will it hurt it either? I dont think so. This is simply the next step in the evolution of audio players. I say dont care, and i wont say in a year or two, ill say it doesnt matter NOW. Theyre here, and they wont stop coming. So just accept it, and look at all the pretty colors
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #29 of 44
computers started out without color. the same for TV's. it's not just about the gimmick, it's completely about the enhanced GUI. with color, you can have so many more layers to work with. it just expands the potential for usability- menu's, organization, etc. (though that also depends on how the programmer uses that capability). color is here to stay and for a good reason. there is a reason we can see the world in color, and not monochrome black and white- because it's more effective.

putting pictures in your wallet is gross. it just eats up all of your butt sweat (it's summer too), and everything melts and sticks to each other from your body heat and the leather/plastic. what a mess.

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #30 of 44
im not a fan of color screens (of course- like many who agree with me; i dont have a color screen). but i think the general public expects these fancy mp3 players to have color screens. in fact, thats the first thing my girlfriend (who knows nothing about mp3 players) commented on, "oh, [hd5] doesnt have a color screen?". If i didnt know better, I would expect a $300 peice of electronics to have a color screen. fortunately the prices for these daps are coming down super fast, which means newer better stuff wont cost as much to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back