Color Me Confused
Mar 12, 2003 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nqstv

100+ Head-Fier
Haven't posted in a very long time, but I got this eerie feeling of being drawn back into this place. Lo and behold, I've gone audiophillic again.

Anyway, Long story short, I've pretty much got my portable setup in order(See Profile), so it's time to get a decent set of cans for home use. I'll probably still be using the NJB3 for listening, but the cans need to pull double duty as a studio mastering set as well.

I've pretty much decided on the Senns, but now I'm stuck. This board has so many different opinions, I've confused myself even more.

So, HD600 or HD590? I'll easily make this decision if I can get an answer on whether the Total Airhead can power the 600's. I did pick up a wall wart to power the amp. Unfortunately, I can't afford a bigger amp at this time to run these, so I need to know if the TAH will provide adequate amperage until I can.

Thanks for any input you all can provide.

Mar 12, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 5
I suggest that you do not buy the HD580/600s with the equipment listed in your profile. The Airhead will do nothing, but smear detail, and your source deficiencies will be brought to the forefront. Keep the phones you have until you are committed to buying equipment that will do the HD580/600 justice. Otherwise, you’re just wasting your money.

Mar 12, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 5
So you're saying that my Hard Disk Recorder is a bad source? Do you have information on a better Digital Studio?

I guess I should have mentioned that I have a Yamaha DSP-A595 Receiver that I've run my home system through. I forgot that I hadn't put any of my home equipment in my profile. Consider that fixed.

Mar 12, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 5
I agree you might not want to go with the 580's or 600's. with the NJB3 you will almost need an amp to successfully power the phones. Plus I'm not sure how these match with studio mastering.

I have no experience with the 590's

Mar 13, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks William, I think I'm gonna go with the 600's. The TAH should be able to drive those off the NJB3. I know that my receiver can drive any of these, so that won't be an issue.

As far as the mixing is gonna go. I think I'm going to improve my collection of headphones and pick up 3 or 4 different sets. The 600's, CD1000, W1000, and another AKG set. Once I get em all, I'll share my thoughts. What I don't use for mastering, I can have the vocalist choose to where when recording (Closed Sets Anyway).

Nqstv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back