Color match screen to printer?
Oct 30, 2007 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a client who does photography and paintings and then sells inkjet prints at local crafts fairs and such. She is unhappy that the print color doesn't match the screen colors. I have tried setting the computer and printer to the same color profile (Adobe 1998) but that only got us closer, still not a perfect match. She mentioned color calibrating the monitor, so I told her I'd look into it. What's the deal with this? Do you calibrate the monitor and then apply that color profile to the printer? Are there any decent calibrators around the $100 price range? (She doesn't have a lot of money to spend on this)

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 9
The subject of color correction management is a big one ... you might want to try a search on dpreview.com for additional details.

The bottom line is that you have to calibrate both your monitor and your printer to get the best match. One hardware calibrator is the spyder line but I think the cheaper models ($100) only does monitors (not printers). The more expensive ones can do both. See following link:

http://www.colorvision.com/product-whichsolution.php

Good luck as it can be quite a quest sometimes to get exact matches.
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The subject of color correction management is a big one ... you might want to try a search on dpreview.com for additional details.

The bottom line is that you have to calibrate both your monitor and your printer to get the best match. One hardware calibrator is the spyder line but I think the cheaper models ($100) only does monitors (not printers). The more expensive ones can do both. See following link:

http://www.colorvision.com/product-whichsolution.php

Good luck as it can be quite a quest sometimes to get exact matches.
tongue.gif

It's not necessary to calibrate your printer for good results. The profiles provided by the paper manufacturer are generally quite good, and yield excellent results. Most users have no reason to go beyond monitor calibration.

Any of the lower end calibration devices will get you pretty close. Heck, you can get pretty close just by running Adobe Gamma and calibrating by eye. I got by on that for quite a while. I now borrow a friends Greytag Eye 1 to calibrate my monitors.

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you calibrate the monitor and then apply that color profile to the printer?

You pick one or the other, 99% starting with the printer. If the printer has a calibrated output with a specific ink/paper combo, you'd print a test swatch output, and try and adjust the monitor as close as possible. It will never match 100%, since you're comparing opaque inks/dyes to a backlit image.

Also remember, photos can have a color cast due to imcorrect white balance.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of starting with this, then seeing what I can to match the prints.

http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-Sp...3802459&sr=8-1

Unless you want to match by eye (which defeats the purpose of using a colorimeter), you'll need a printer profile.

Which means you'll need one from the printer you want to match to, or better yet, you'll need a program to generate profiles. Usually it works by printing a sample pic that you then scan, and then input it into the calibration software, which will then use it as a target to match to. It's much easier to calibrate a monitor to a printer, rather than the other way around.

From the looks of it, that package you posted a link to, does not have such software you would need.

This one would be the minimum you would need.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B000ES4PYU

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back