Color iPod Mini Flash Players
Sep 2, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 17
Wow, a 8 gb flash player for $299.
eek.gif

Unfortuneately I'm still not an Apple fan. I'll see what the competition comes out with first.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 17
I don't trust that article at all.

NAND flash has a maximum capacity, at this point, at 8Gb, not 8GB. At least, that's from I can tell from Google searching it. Big difference in capacity there..

Sep 2, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 17
misread. deleted earlier comments.

Anyway a $69 Shuffle is cool... as is the Mini flash news. 512MB, 1GB and 2GB Shuffles seems a bit too many models though, no? Curious of the new Minis designs.

Sep 2, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
From the same page concerning next weeks media event and the phone...
Users will not only be able to plug the phone into their computer to tap their iTunes Music Library for tunes, but will also have the ability of buying songs on the fly over Cingular's network, probably for about $2 a song, sources report. The ability to download songs from the phone represents a departure from Apple's original design for the phone. Months ago it emerged that cell phone networks Apple was in talks with, eager to share revenue that a music download service could generate, were uninterested in carrying the phone unless such a feature was included.
If this is true, when will the U.S. mobile phone carriers stop being such ****ing creeps? Man, they make the RIAA and MPAA look moderate. Another 'crippled' mp3 phone implementation.

Anyway a $69 Shuffle is cool... as is the Mini flash news. 512MB, 1GB and 2GB Shuffles seems a bit too many models though, no?

3? no way. look at how many flash players iRiver has, now that's a lot

Sep 2, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pants
3? no way. look at how many flash players iRiver has, now that's a lot

Well iRivers and Creatives shotgun approach has never been Apples way. We'll see though.

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
I don't trust that article at all.

NAND flash has a maximum capacity, at this point, at 8Gb, not 8GB. At least, that's from I can tell from Google searching it. Big difference in capacity there..

What's to keep Apple from using two 4GB modules? Apparently Samsung has cut prices sufficiently to make this a real possibility. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Apple fan anyway, but I'm looking forward to adding the Color Mini 8 even though I already have a few other models.

Sep 3, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 17
Well in Mac circles ThinkSecret is one of the more reliable rumor sites.

The screen is still pretty large. I'm a little nervous (though trust Apple designers more than most) that this will still be a pretty large player, at least compared to most flash units. Any guesses on the dimensions? The article says 20-25% smaller is a possibility.

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
What's to keep Apple from using two 4GB modules? Apparently Samsung has cut prices sufficiently to make this a real possibility. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Apple fan anyway, but I'm looking forward to adding the Color Mini 8 even though I already have a few other models.

Well, according to this calculator:
http://forceonemedia.com/filesizes.html

8Gb = 1GB.. so they'd have to use 8 of them. Maybe they're just using normal CompactFlash memory, since they do have an 8GB.. ultra expensive, but maybe they cut a deal or somethin... or maybe the NAND memory is really small and they can cram 8 of them in there.. who knows.. guess we'll see soon enough!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
Well, according to this calculator:
http://forceonemedia.com/filesizes.html

8Gb = 1GB.. so they'd have to use 8 of them. Maybe they're just using normal CompactFlash memory, since they do have an 8GB.. ultra expensive, but maybe they cut a deal or somethin... or maybe the NAND memory is really small and they can cram 8 of them in there.. who knows.. guess we'll see soon enough!
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually the tech press has been abuzz for a few weeks now about a deal between Apple and Samsung. Apparently Apple has dibs on as much as 40 percent of Samsung's projected NAND output at very special prices. An alliance between these two would be particularly powerful and, given Samsung's dominance in NAND memory, could bode ill for the competition. Samsung had a weak reputation in the US a few years back, but according to a recent Business Week article they're really a very well managed, cutting-edge company. Today they are the world's largest manufacturer of high end televisions--those selling for more than $3,000.

Here's a little blurb about Samsung's 8GB NAND progress. I'm no expert, but an 8GB iPod flash player is looking pretty feasible to me.

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 17
i think it was engadget that i read it on but they said that for the higher capacity they will be using two flash chips so im guessing two 4 gb chips and for the 6 gb one 4 gb and one 2 gb...oo i just love math....lol.. On a side note havent been much of afan of apple but if this holds true then id say it would be one of their better innovations.

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad

Here's a little blurb about Samsung's 8GB NAND progress. I'm no expert, but an 8GB iPod flash player is looking pretty feasible to me.

They're talking about 8Gb.

From what I've been reading, NAND is tiny, so they could easily stick eight of the 8Gb chips in there to get 8GB.

It looks like they're up to 16Gb, so they'd only need four of those.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/flash/

I see one flaw with this theory though, and that is they're each rated at 2.70 ~ 3.60V, so having four of those would be rediculously power hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back