Cologne-fi
Dec 30, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #226 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by R04R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never worn cologne before other than when my mom would spray me for an important day when I was younger.

What colognes are a good base to start from? I noticed Aqua di Gio was mentioned many times and I'll check that out at the mall. Are there any others recommended that I could test at the mall?

High notes, middle notes, low notes, gotcha. I'll have to see how this works with my skin.

Thanks in advance.

keep in mind... if you're wearing something to try to impress a woman, you run a HIGH risk of smelling like a dooshe bag ex boyfriend wearing something like aqua di gio, curve, or anything HUGE like that. dunno how true it is, but women supposedly have a more keen sense of smell than men, and it's been determined that smell is the is the sense most tightly associated with memory (both in the limbic bit of your brain).

eric b

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #227 of 436
Like headphones there are some colognes that seem to get pretty good rep online everywhere, as being pleasant for a good number of folks and utilizing higher quality ingredients... something like Terre d'Hermes comes to mind, but it's possible that everyone smells things differently. My taste is juvenile by the standards of the average basenotes.net member, but you know, I rather like the Armani Code they panned.

Why not just go to the mall and see what they've got, and see what appeals to you. I wish I had access to a Sephora :p

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #228 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like headphones there are some colognes that seem to get pretty good rep online everywhere, as being pleasant for a good number of folks and utilizing higher quality ingredients... something like Terre d'Hermes comes to mind, but it's possible that everyone smells things differently. My taste is juvenile by the standards of the average basenotes.net member, but you know, I rather like the Armani Code they panned.

Why not just go to the mall and see what they've got, and see what appeals to you. I wish I had access to a Sephora :p

keep in mind, though, that basenotes is the head-fi of fragrance, LOL.

eric b

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #229 of 436
which means it's another listen-at-your-own-peril joint filled with evangelistic loonies who can't speak English, like Head-Fi very much is, huh?
wink.gif

O wait, their language skills are on average a lot better, sigh.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #230 of 436
I really like Frédéric Malle, and the ones by Jean Claude Ellena:

Bigarade concentrée
Angéliques sous la pluie

They are not sold in many places and are really distinctive as well as being extremely luxurious - beautifully made and presented.

Highly recommended!

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #231 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by mossman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like Frédéric Malle, and the ones by Jean Claude Ellena:

Bigarade concentrée
Angéliques sous la pluie

They are not sold in many places and are really distinctive as well as being extremely luxurious - beautifully made and presented.

Highly recommended!

which ones do you wear? i NEED to try vetiver extraordinaire, as i love vetiver fragrances.

eric b

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #234 of 436
Bump the thread (cause this is a nice hobby), and I have a dilemma. You may or may not have seen this before.

In the years that I've taken up enjoying fragrances as a half-serious interest, I've done a lot of reading to "gauge" what's considered as quality stuff and what isn't. That's how I grew as a head-fier almost a decade ago, so in buying colognes I always drew from the seasoned crowd's consensus. Kinda like always going for Ety/shure/UE etc and skipping skullcandy.

However, as much as I appreciate these purchases, I still find myself irrevocably drawn to certain scents that the seasoned perfumista populace don't/won't consider to be very respectable at all. I still enjoy CK be 12 years after my first bottle, and keep wanting to go back. I hate Justin Timberlake with a passion, but I quite like Givenchy Play, I'm in denial over it.

Is that because none of the stuff I've sampled/educated myself with is actually good enough? But that's also because I have no access to most of the "niche" brands. The nearest Le Labo outlet is in Tokyo, a $300 air ticket away, and I really don't have the money to give myself a respectable Malle, Lutens, et al experience (in spite of them finally selling Lutens in town).

Anyway, just ranting... when life sucks, you spray Coty Aspen on it.
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #240 of 436
I like Aqua di Gio, but don't wear it that often. I used to be a Drakkar Noir guy 20 years ago. It still sells apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back