Colleges... doing a week tour with my dad
Jan 20, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
Basically, start with a BSE and then get a job.

What is that BSE by the way? Cause here in med school I think it means something totally different.

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #47 of 54
Yeah, I think getting mad cow disease would be a *bad* thing for my overall future, no?
wink.gif

Also, guys, remember that people change majors on average at least 3 times in their college careers -- there's no guarantee that I'll still want to major in engineering after taking a class in it!
eek.gif

So I'm trying not to assume that all I really need is a good EE program
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #48 of 54
I'm at Northwestern University right now studying Computer Engineering. I love it, but engineering here is very work intensive (as it is everywhere I'm sure). The campus is amazing, as are the facilities. I've probably seen 5% of the facilities available to me as an undergraduate engineer and I'm a sophomore. If you'd like to talk to me about NWU feel free to PM me.
biggrin.gif

**EDIT**

I had similar test scores/grades as you. I had 1440 SAT (I don't remember exactly, but I think that was it), a somewhat low GPA (top 15% of high school class), and a lot of AP credit.

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #49 of 54
it just hit me. bachelor of science engineering. at least that's what makes a lot of sense at the moment.

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #50 of 54
Also, even if you don't want to talk about NWU feel free to PM me about what an engineering degree involves. I'll even send you some sample homework if you like.
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #51 of 54
I'll put in a couple of plugs for Stanford.

First, if you think you're headed towards EE, there are a tremendous number of electronics companies in Silicon Valley (big surprise, I know). And when it comes to hiring, the home team has an advantage: lots of these places were started by Stanford grads, they probably all have a lot of Stanford grads on board, and when someone with a Stanford degree comes calling at the door, that degree gets them a little more attention than would an EE degree of equivalent quality from somewhere else...just because Stanford's place in the local culture is so well established.

[I'm not claiming this is unique to Stanford. I think the geographical home-team-advantage applies to pretty much every area and industry. I claim it as a selling point for Stanford here only because of the size of the local electronics industry.]

If you change majors, Stanford's as likely as anyplace to have the breadth, depth, and diversity to keep you satisfied in your newly chosen field of study.

And as for the neighborhood...it's pretty darn nice. BTW, if you get a hankering for some light exercise while you're in town, take a hike around the Stanford Dish just a few minutes away from the center of campus. What a view. Park on Stanford Avenue just off Junipero Serra Boulevard, and walk up from there.

Jan 21, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #53 of 54
Eric,

I graduated from Harvey Mudd in 2001 with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics. Most of my friends are engineers who are now in the top graduate schools (Cal Tech, MIT, Stanford). I'm sure you've looked through college guides to see where you will fit in, but visiting a school will definitely give you the best perspective.

Harvey Mudd is a very unique place. The students there are for the most part very dorky (I mean this in the best way). If you get along with dorky people, you'll fit in there. Looking at your SAT scores you look like you could be a solid applicant, though most Mudders will have a math score at least 100 points higher than you. There are plenty of people on campus that have 1600's. It would serve you well to improve that score, or to nail the Math 2C SAT II. The coursework is very theory driven, which means a lot of math. The core requirements are also vast, meaning that you spend a lot of time doing chemistry, physics, computer science, biology, and math. Additionally, 1/3 of the coursework is in the humanities, as Mudd seeks to produce well-rounded scientists. Engineers average more than 5 courses per semester, which is a large load, especially if all of the classes are technical. Additionally, Mudd has been ranked number one in the amount of homework that the students do (back when I was applying it was around 5 hours per night).

You mentioned a decent male-female ratio. I don't know of any engineering schools that have a good one. However, Mudd is adjacent to Scripps, which is a women's college. Additionally, there are Pitzer, Claremont McKenna, and Pomona a few minute's walk away. A good opportunity for meeting women is to take some of your classes off campus.

I enjoyed my four years at Mudd quite a bit. The professors were excellent and I made friends that I'll have for life. I also learned quite a bit about what I want to do with my life.

If you decide to apply to Mudd, I would stress your engineering related hobbies. That might help differentiate you from someone who just has test scores and a 4.0 on their side.

Enjoy your college hunt!

Bryan

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #54 of 54
Another plug for your local UW.

I'm currently a sophmore and a pre-computer science undergrad. UW actually has a top 5 in computer science/ee program and sometimes besting even the top engineering schools in some published rankings. The new Paul Allen building is awesome to say the least and most of the professors are helpful. I'd really take atleast a visit if I were you.

The downfalls are ofcourse taking other classes that are so gigantic such as the ones in Kane hall >.< and being so close to home.

GL dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back