College Textbook--What a Rip!/How Much Did You Pay For Books This Semester?
Sep 11, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #16 of 47
Yeah, one problem is that popular texts come out with mostly bogus "new" editions to disrupt the used book market.

And many campus textbook stores jack up the price over list. It is probably a good idea to check online stores for the most expensive textbooks--they might be considerably cheaper that way...

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 47
In undergrad the most I ever paid per quarter was $600, I thought that was a lot...
rolleyes.gif

This semster $800 (and not all new books!), and that's only because I'm borrowing some old books from my roommate, otherwise it be over $1000.
blink.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
In undergrad the most I ever paid per quarter was $600, I thought that was a lot...
rolleyes.gif

This semster $800 (and not all new books!), and that's only because I'm borrowing some old books from my roommate, otherwise it be over $1000.
blink.gif

Wow what's the tax in Cali? 200% or something?
tongue.gif
yikes!!

Sep 11, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #20 of 47
i go to private highschool so i have to pay for my books as well. normally i go the first day the bookstore is open to get my books, so i can get any used books if there are any. my sophmore year i only spent $200 on books, this year, my junior year, i spent about $400.

last year my french text was sprial bound as wel and by the end of the year it the front cover was hanging on by one thread. publishers are greedy. i complained to about 5 different people at my school, and this year there is a new french text book. maybe i wasnt the only one complaining.

Sep 11, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 47
Have you guys check out www.bestbookbuys.com? I had great success in buying textbooks back in college. They have used/new and capable of comparing price b/w online sites.

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Wow what's the tax in Cali? 200% or something?
tongue.gif
yikes!!

Tax is 8.25%. So that's about $60 in just tax. I could have bought another book with that money!
blink.gif

Anyway I consider myself lucky that my roommate let me borrow her old books. Borrowed (free) books are better then used (discounted) books.
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #26 of 47
$480 here. And I only use 3/5 of them.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 47
I cheated. I bought all my books either used or otherwise cheaply online, with only one book (also used) being purchased locally. Most expensive book was like $40 IIRC. I don't think I paid more than $200 or $250 total for all my books. All I know is that Amazon, Half.com, and Big Dog Textbooks are my friends. The Auraria Campus Bookstore is good for getting the ISBN numbers and that's about it.

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #28 of 47
Speaking of textbooks, I always get a good laugh out of this one. It's a good book to keep on the coffee table to confuse unsuspecting victims.

A Course in Arithmetic

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #29 of 47
$405 for 3 books this semester, and one of them was only $60
mad.gif

Luckily this is my last semester...for my undergraduate that is...now lets see how bad I get screwed when I go to grad school

Users who are viewing this thread

Back