College Textbook Help
Aug 8, 2006 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Firam

500+ Head-Fier
I have ordered all my book except for one. The college sells the books off their website so I took down the details.

Title: INTRODUCTORY CIRCUIT ANALYSIS
Author: BOYLESTAD
Binding: PAPERBACK
Copyright: 00
Publisher: PCP

I can't find a book with those details except maybe "Experiments in Circuit Analysis to Accompany Introductory Circuit Analysis, 10th Edition". I need a tact full to figure out the right book or the ISBN. I can't just email the bookstore and ask. They would figure out I'm trying to bypass them.

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
try emailing the professor to get the isbn.

I wonder how I can word the email without him saying they are for sale at the bookstore.

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 25
at my university the professors don't care; they give students the ISBNs all the time, even though they are fully aware that the books are for sale at the bookstore. worth a try at least?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

at my university the professors don't care; they give students the ISBNs all the time, even though they are fully aware that the books are for sale at the bookstore. worth a try at least?

Let me vouch for this--as a university professor, I don't care in the slightest where my students get their textbooks. I've given out ISBNs many times, it's no big deal.

We don't care where you get it, we just care that you actually read it once you do get it!
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Let me vouch for this--as a university professor, I don't care in the slightest where my students get their textbooks. I've given out ISBNs many times, it's no big deal.

We don't care where you get it, we just care that you actually read it once you do get it!
biggrin.gif

Unless it's a book you wrote, right?
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 25
I don't understand why a professor would be offended if he gave you the ISBN. I am missing something? I'm not at college yet...

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Unless it's a book you wrote, right?
wink.gif

Well, if it's a book the prof wrote, s/he should get royalties regardless of where you buy it, because royalty checks come from the publisher, not the bookstore. In reality, though, most book contracts yield almost nothing in royalties--assigning your own book to your class won't make you much.

Quote:

what he was saying was that the prof. may want him to buy the books from the school bookstore--so that the school can make money.

Most university bookstores are actually operated by outside companies like Barnes and Noble, so the school doesn't make or lose money either way. There are probably exceptions, but they'd be few: we don't care where you get your books.

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #13 of 25
The professor replied. The book is a reprint of selected chapters of the hardcover edition. He said it will be hard to find outside of the college bookstore. ISBN=0536608768. So I guess I'm stuck.

Aug 10, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 25
READ THIS!!!

I was incredibly poor in college. I waited tables and never took out loans. Doing this I found an incredibly valuable secret.

1. Most professors have an extra copy of their textbook and will loan it to you for a semester.
2. If they won't give it to you, you can take it to the copy shop and copy the entire thing for a fraction of the price.
3. Most textbooks are very similar from version to version. Ask the professor if you could buy a used, older version.
4. abebooks.com is the cheapest place to buy a book
5. bulletin boards with flyers are also a great place to buy books.
6. I took many classes without ever buying a book because I would take very very good notes in class and then go to the professors office after class to ask what's in the book that's not covered in class.

**Biggest piece of advice--if the professor knows you by name, you're almost gaurenteed a letter grade higher than you deserve.**

BILL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back