College Student Budget Computer Audio
Sep 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Patriot

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,

I am moving into a new place, in order to continue school! I've brought over my Andrew Jones Pioneer towers and matching sub for the downstairs but would like to hook up my SP-BS41's upstairs, so I can have a private area to enjoy my music. I listen to alot of hip hop like Atmoshphere, Blueprint, Aesop Rock, Eyedea and E-Dubble. I am looking for a cheap >$100 source of power to push the bookshelves alone. I personally found the entire collection hard to power but am not looking to blow any doors off the hinges here as there are others in the house who don't enjoy my impeccable taste in conscious rap.

I'm in a vast sea of knowledge here and I apologize in advance if I am beating a dead horse. If a moderator finds this thread to be repetetive feel free to delete it but please shoot me a message with a suggestion. I love the forum and appreciate all the love around here. 

I am very willing to find something int he buy/sell/trade here but I mostly see higher end tastes. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 11
For $100, look on your local Craigslist. Usually there are great deals to be had on used stereo and audio video receivers. Just have to be vigilant about watching it for a week since good deals tend to go fast.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Usually I used the search box and restrict to "receiver." Very unlikely you would find a home audio integrated amplifier in this price range. Receivers are where you can find something cheap but good :)

Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, and Harman Kardon are all good choices. Pioneer, too, for more recent newer models (not sure about those that are 7 or 8 years old).

So if that Onkyo is working well, it will definitely power those speakers fine. Just make sure that you can test whatever receiver you listen to before you hand over the money. :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 11
This place seems to have a lot of vintage recievers for sale: http://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/3927612142.html

One thing about vintage is that they may need restoration of some of the electronics to sound their best. But if you find one you like the sound of, then that's all that matters.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 11
One more thing. If you can increase your budget a little, this SHERBOURN PA 2-50 would be a fantastic deal. That Sherbourn is the same as the Emotiva mini-x a-100 amp (lots of reviews and discussion of this one on the web), only with some extra features. Same parent company was making both under different product lines and is now closing out the Sherbourn series.

I know money is tight when you are a college student. Just throwing that out there just in case :)

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 11
There is no HDMI to RCA that I know of.

If you can run your computer via HDMI to an AVR, then most likely the DAC in the AVR would produce better sound than running analog out from your computer, unless you've installed an add-on soundcard in your computer.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 11
  I am scanning the list now. I am seeing car amps and full size recievers but am sharing this desk with a messy girlfriend

http://www.amazon.com/Topping-TP21-Digital-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B005CRLZGE  Mmmmaybe this? 

Even a small amp might be a problem if she's really messy - instead of scratching a huge amp that's in the way she can put a huge handbag over a small amp, then pull it off the table (instead of lifting), then bam! Bye-bye light and tiny amplifier (unless the cables an binding post hold up and keep it from hitting the floor).

I'd say that amp is a good choice, but you'd have to get creative about mounting. For one, keep the amp (and the source, what will you be using?) off the desk - get one of those pre-built shelves, like from Home Depot or Ikea (in Ace Hardware over here they have these next to the flat-panel wall mounts and speaker stands) and make the most out of a light, small, Class D amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back