College setup
Jun 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

enbayo

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]I have been lurking for a long time and finally found the courage to post a question that after hours upon hours of research  I can't solve. I am going off to college and want to upgrade my current setup (iPod video 5th generation, lossless files, fiio LOD, O2 amp, HD600) for my dorm room. I have narrowed it down to either the LCD-2 or the HD800 and an amp. I have a very strict $1600 budget. I deeply enjoy both of the headphones (with a slight edge going the the HD800s) but am worried that my budget will severely restrict the the HD800's amp options. I’m not opposed, and would prefer,to  buy used, and need help finding options. I would appreciate any amp/headphone combos that you think would fit my budget. [/size]
[size=medium]Thank you[/size]

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 10
HE-500 headphones, Objective 2 amplifier, and put $800 towards your student loans. Trust me.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 10
I actually had the opportunity to try the HE-500s a couple months ago and didn't particularly cared for them. I am also not too worried about student loans, I have been saving for college almost all of high school and I was lucky enough to win many scholarships. This is just a gift to myself for finishing school, which might not be that big of an achievement but its taken me a majority of my life. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Do you really want all that great and expensive stuff sitting around in a college dorm room?  I hope you have a single.

To add to that, the LCDs are open. So, if you don't have a single room, you're room mate(s) will not be happy campers during an all night listening session.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 10
As someone who owns both of the headphones you're considering, I'd keep my HD800 if I had to part with one of them. (skim through the last few pages of the HD800 thread for comments from people who own both).

And you don't need expensive amping and sources to enjoy your HD800. There are people who enjoy them just fine out of their iPod or out of their soundcard -- as well as modestly priced amps like a CMOY, Objective2 or Leckerton. But the headphone is so transparent that it will scale well to upgrades, so it will be a headphone that will grow with your setup. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Are you set on getting an open headphone? While leakage may not be a concern, noisy neighbours might be. You may also want to consider setting aside a part of the budget for a nice portable set to study in the libraries or whatnot.

Quote:
HE-500 headphones, Objective 2 amplifier, and put $800 towards your student loans. Trust me.

Or put the money towards women (or men, or booze, or other recreational uses...)

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 10
Unless you're set on a full sizer, I would say keep your rig now and work on a nice CIEM/portable rig. I upgraded my desktop rig quite a bit, and ended up getting rid of most of it for a portable. For me at least, I found myself wanting to be tied to my room less and less. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back