College Laptop
Jun 26, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
It's possible. On the other hand, the Transit can more easily drive long lengths of cable.

Would the lengths really matter? In any case, with a laptop you're typically right next to the comp

Jun 26, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Yes. A DAC by itself isn't designed to drive any kind of load, particularly the capacitive load that lengthy cables represent. You'd get high-end rolloff.

What question are you answering?

Jun 26, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 22
I've never heard a Sonica, so I can't speak for that but I have had ZERO problems with the Transit as a Line-out.

Jun 26, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate
What question are you answering?

The question about whether lengths really matter.

It's not really worth confusing things. Both the Sonica and Transit are very good. They're similar in design. The Sonica uses an AK4353 DAC, whereas the Transit uses the AK4584. The Transit has an op-amp after the DAC which makes it possible to drive headphones in a pinch, but it is not meant to do this. I think both devices probably sound similar. I suspect that the Transit probably measures better, but it's possible that the Sonica sounds subjectively better, particularly after mods. It's impossible for me to say though, since I haven't heard them head-to-head. I personally use a modded Sonica and like the sound a lot (I'm not a huge fan of op-amps, and am willing to sacrifice detail for good tone). The Transit comes with ASIO driver support. If I had to choose between buying either of them now, it would be a hard choice. They're both good. I don't think people can go wrong by getting either one.

Jun 29, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #22 of 22
Planning a similar setup, just ordered A900's. Need a DAC for both laptop and office desktop computer, and an amplifier to go with it. Was looking at the total bithead from Headroom until I saw the note about it having a mediocre DAC.

Around here (Sweden) I've only seen the Audiotrak Optoplay, but never heard it with decent headphones. Has anyone tried it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back