College hi-fi setup suggestion
Jan 16, 2002 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Azumandus

Head-Fier
Hello fairly new I guess...I was wondering what kind of set up can I get in a College dorm...It has to be fairly small. I already have a MD player but that's mainly for the go.. is there a portable CD player that I can use as a stationary set up? I heard the sony D-25S is a great stationary portable that has good line-out, but will it be a good line-out for so I can copy CD's to my MD?? Any suggestion would help. I just want to get a good source that isn't big and buckly which I have no room for.

Jan 16, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 8
If you're looking to dub CD to MD, you might want to find a CD player with optical line out. Search the forum, I have seen a few portable CD players mentioned with optical out capability.

For overall sound, the Sony 25s is gaining a stellar reputation, and I have one on the way myself.

cajunchrist

Jan 16, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 8
The sites where I've seen this pcdp for sale say that the "Battery from Sony is not included". Does this mean that there is some type of special battery that the unit needs to be portable? Or will any other type of AA's work? I already have a 4.5 V AC adaptor from another Sony pcdp. Will this AC adaptor work with the 25s? I use it with my current Aiwa and it works fine.

Jan 16, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 8
the d-25s has proprietary batteries that can only be obtained directly from sony.

Quote:

I already have a 4.5 V AC adaptor from another Sony pcdp. Will this AC adaptor work with the 25s? I use it with my current Aiwa and it works fine.

the d-25s actually needs more power. it requires 9V DC, with at least 600mA...

anyway, do a search on the forums for 'sony d-25s' or just 'd-25s' and you should be able to find plenty of info on this.

hopefully i'll get my d-25s in by next week.

Jan 18, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by vn412
I wasnt aware that the 25 had an optical line out...I guess I thought it was too old for it haha

It has a line out, but NOT an optical line out.

Jan 19, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 8
My JVC PCDP (Model #XL-PG7) HaS an optical line out and an analogue line out. I use the analogue to feed my airhead amp and the optical to record to MD.

While the debate rages (at places like www.minidisc.org) over just how much better a digital recording is, I find that except for the most critical listening the analogue line out makes an acceptable recording to MD also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back