College headphones
May 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jrb46

New Head-Fier

I need help. I am heading off to college this fall. I need a good pair of headphones that will last 4 to 6 years. Budget is $150. I will be using them for music, my major. I will also be recording lectures and listening to them. I will be in a dorm so I think around the ear would be the best but I am open to other suggestions. Just no in the ear.
Can any one help me with suggestions
Just one other little note and a dream come true. TODAY just 5 minutes ago I got a letter from HARVARD I was accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

May 4, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Get IEMS, try the PFE, Welcome to boston (actually u are in cambridge, I go to school in Boston aswell)

May 4, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 10
I was gonna suggest the same Scott because I'm jamming to mine right now. He said no in the ears though. If you're not planning on using them other than your dorm, I suggest heading over to the full cans forum. You won't get much really good SQ selection in terms of non IEMS

May 5, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 10
Whatever you get, I would recommend against open headphones. I ran a few of them when I had a roommate, and looking back I feel like I was pretty inconsiderate.

I know you said no in-ears, but if you do reconsider them, I've found I have to be careful when using them day-to-day. When I haven't paid attention I've missed a bunch of phone calls, in particular. It sounds dumb, but usability matters. If you ever get in the habit of going out to restaurants, coffee shops, etc. to study, though, IEM isolation a godsend.

Good luck, and congratulations!

May 5, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Congrats on Harvard... although I like Berkeley better...

As for IEMs... I highly recommend IE7s. Great phones.
smily_headphones1.gif
Cheers.

May 5, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 10
I agree IEMs are the way to go, or some supra-aural/around ear design like the D1001, ESW9(example, way out of your budget
smily_headphones1.gif
), ES7.

May 5, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 10
He was prob talking about Berkley the music school, which happens to be one of the best in the world, and not UC Berkley.

May 5, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Congrats on the Harvard bid, I'll be somewhat joining you up there at MIT, but I also suggest an IEM (Ultimate Ears is my company of choice) but I'm saving money to order up some custom IEM's from hearyourself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back