College headphone advice
Jul 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jonboye

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, So I've been a long time lurker on head-fi. Now, I find myself in a dilemma in an attempt to choose the right pair of headphones. I will be heading to college in the fall and I will be living in a dorm with 2 other people.

Anyway, I have a pair of IEMs, but I feel that IEMs may not be as comfortable when wearing for long periods of time and I believe that the over the ear/on ear headphones would be of better sound quality. My budget is definitely limited as I do not want to spend more than $100. I have two options that I narrowed down to:

Denon AH-P372
Sony MDR-V6

Now, I understand that these two headphones are different in their own ways. But I was wondering if any of you could give me advice on which one to purchase. The V6 will be about twice as expensive at $80 while the P372 will be around $40. 
The P372 seems to be smaller so I assume it is more portable? (Will that be a plus for me?). I will be mainly using the headphones in my dorm. I am not sure if I will be bringing it around to the library and such (should I just use my IEM's for that?), but it is definitely a possibiltiy. Is the V6 portable as well?

Is the double price worth it on the v6?

Thanks for the help!

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 9
JVC-HA-S500 folding headphones, a little easier to carry around and they sound good.
I paid $76 for my JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray).

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 9
The V6 is a great option. There's also the Monoprice 8323 (23 dollars) and the Panasonic RP HTF600 (30 dollars) if you want to go cheaper.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Id look into the Shure SRH750DJ's. That was my first pair and they were used at college. I got into headfi after spending all day Saturday and Sunday in a cafe from open to close during capstone projects and these did the trick for me. I could drowned everyone out if I chose to do so. I could swivel 1 cup down and work with a partner on a project if I needed to. They are fold up nicely. They have a replaceable cable if you have an accident and need to change them out. I got mine for $110 new from an authorized Shure dealer.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 9
Hello!

The Sony do sound great but not sure about the other one you mentioned. However, I personally find the drivers are touching my ears causing discomfort for long period of listening.

For the same price, you might as well look into the HD439?

Hope this helps!
Billson :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Quick question though. How portable is the V6? Is it a good enough size where I can take it around or use it around in public without it feeling too big or clunky?

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Quick question though. How portable is the V6? Is it a good enough size where I can take it around or use it around in public without it feeling too big or clunky?

I own the MDR-V6, but prefer to use (carry around) the JVC HA-S500, I think the price is down to $56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back