College-Fi: Open Headphones distrub room mates?
Nov 23, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax?
wink.gif

No man, SyncMaster, model number 900NF.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #17 of 26
Your roomate will hear them. At any moderate volume they can even make out the song.

The question is how will your roommate tolerate hearing a muffled sound when you listen to music.

Get some closed cans IMO.

Also, the open will let sound in. If you want to go into your own world with hp's while you study, closed is again your best bet.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
170920014bm0.jpg

Is this the thing you were talking about??
blink.gif
blink.gif
tongue.gif

Whoops, i meant, this is the thing i was talking about. So my freind found this monitor in the street, he opened it, took teh spekaers out, and now uses them as headphones. They are very loud, but cheap.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #22 of 26
I used to have a roommate when I had my MS2s last year. I had some problems because either my roommate would be playing his stupid nintendo n64 or my headphones would be too loud for him. I could only listen to my headphones when my roommate wasn't in my room, so sometimes I would come home early and just study in the room. But later on that became impossible when he skipped a ton of classes and played beer pong almost everynight.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have HD590s. I notice that when I set them to my normal volume and take them off, they're pretty quiet. However, when I have my friends listen to soemthing they all seem to turn them up 30-50% louder, and it would then be prett iratating if I were trying to get something done quietly. Basicaly, it depends on your listening level. That said, Grados are probably louder on the outside than my Senns are.

My ms1 is not as loud as the hd590 in terms of leakage.... though when blasting the grados they are considerably louder and can be mistaken for speakers lol but i think its because they are driven easier with lower impedence

Nov 23, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #24 of 26
I have Grado SR-125's and never had a problem. In fact, the first day with my 2nd roommate he pulled out his SR-80's and a tubeamp! We were both pretty surprised/happy!

You never no, I say if you like headphones, just use em. If things get bad, its just another reason to expand your collection!

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I don't have a room-mate, I'd imagine the Stax SR-404 would definitely be a nuisance.

Hehe, yeah I used to get people from the office across the hall from me asking what I was listening to
lambda.gif
Not with the 003 though, they are pretty quiet from the outside even when listening at higher levels.

In dorms I'd use open alone and closed with others around. I spent years in boarding school and ARMY barracks so I know all the horror stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back