college dorms - subwoofers???
Jun 5, 2006 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Eisenhower

500+ Head-Fier
would bringing a 15" subwoofer in a 5 cubic ft. box off of 400 watts for home theater be out of the question for a college dorm?

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 20
I don't think that would be a good idea especially if you want be to considerate to the others
basshead.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 20
Whether the RA would take action or not depends on the location, but suffice to say that a subwoofer of any form will piss off those around you. I came very, very close to killing a guy who insisted on either practicing his electric bass or blasting rap music on his subwoofer at 10-11pm each evening.

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 20
It depends on the school. I went to a small private college, and we had deignated "loud hours" where a noise complaint could not be filed during that time. Other than that, you could be asked to turn your music down at any time. Other schools have designated "guiet hours".

I guess either way you would be able to use your sub, but the question would be is it really worth it.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
Come on, this is head-fi. Trade in that subwoofer for a nice headphone.
biggrin.gif

Hehe, agreed, I've got a pretty modest/budget home cinema setup and I've never felt the need for a subwoofer. Maybe it's just because I have wood floors all through the house and the bass resonates but I've always felt the bass produced by a nice pair of floorstanding speakers is more than good enough.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 20
My rule was always that if I could hear your music over my music, then there was a major malfunction. It worked well in my dorm, so you might go around to all your neighbors and ask if a similar arrangement might work.

However, just bringing a sub in and going about your business is a recipe for disaster.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 20
If my room is big enough, I plan on bringing my subwoofer (15" Adire Audio Tempest in a 200L ported box). She was formerly a home theater beast but right now I have it augmenting my mains below 50Hz only. Personally I listen at reasonable volumes and I'm sure my sub is alot less annoying than some loud, boomy 8" sub.

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
If my room is big enough, I plan on bringing my subwoofer (15" Adire Audio Tempest in a 200L ported box). She was formerly a home theater beast but right now I have it augmenting my mains below 50Hz only. Personally I listen at reasonable volumes and I'm sure my sub is alot less annoying than some loud, boomy 8" sub.

I have an acsendant audio atlas, which much like a tempest.

I dont think the dorms are even big enough for my box though.

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Luckily my dorm room is quite volumous
cool.gif

Maybe I could use the box as a TV stand or something? probally not a great idea for the TV..

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 20
I had a 2x10" bass cab and a 12" adire shiva in my dorm room. Just don't be an *****hole and everthing will be fine.

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 20
At points in time during my first year of uni (when living in residence) I had to put concentrated effort into not totally flipping out from all the boom boom boom boom booooooooooooms that eminated from the guy- who-lived-directly-below-me's subwoofer.

Please! Get some headphones, they'll reach ear shattering volume levels without disturbing a single person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back