College Dorm sound system
Aug 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

silverensign

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody, 

So me and my best friend just moved into our dorm at college and everything has been going great. We have some other friends that come down and want to listen to music, as well as his desire to listen to music too, but all we have are built in monitor speakers. So we were wondering what would be a good stereo system for college. We basically don't know much other than the difference in use of a regular speaker and sub woofer, so If you could explain your recommendation that would be amazing. And just for some FYI so you can make the best recommendation: Playing it off a computer, not Cd's or other physical recordings, He does not have an audio card (and should he get one and if so which), and we listen to music ranging from house, dub step, all trap, screamo, and contemporary rock, also we arent looking to spend more than $200 but we would really love it if there was something really good for under $100.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are sale for $119 at BestBuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch---ProMedia-2.1-Speaker-System-(3-Piece)---Black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

Won't do better than that for under $150 with a sub.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 7
Because over, and over again for years, people have found these to be the best desktop music set for under $150. Most computer desktop speakers in this price range are more like cheap plastic toys that sound like crap. Do your research on the Klipsch, and you'll find out how popular they are and why people like them. You won't beat them for the price.

Now if you'd like to start building a passive speaker setup, check this out: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/
Add to it a Dayton SUB 800 or SUB 1000, and you'd have some kickin' low bass. Those are budget level home audio subs that computer multimedia speaker subs can't touch in output.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
ok, can you explain your reasoning why you would suggest that, I don't like being ignorant when I buy something

Coming from someone who owns these currently, they're just phenomenal speakers. They have superb audio quality, for sub $150 they probably have the best audio quality you can find for desktop speakers, and they can get loud without any distortion. I can turn the volume nob to just under half way (10 o'clock ish) and the speakers are already loud enough for me. The subwoofer is surprisingly incredibly powerful. When needed, it provides a completely full and heavy bass sound that's crystal clear without any bass distortion, even so much that at times I find myself turning it down on movies/games. It doesn't have any of the low end speaker bass distortion that a lot of subs have.

Honestly these are the best speakers I've ever owned and I've gone through quite a lot in the past few years. I wouldn't considering myself as a highly educated audiophile, but I know an amazing set of speakers when I come across some and these are a prime example.

Here are some more in-depth reviews if you're looking: http://www.head-fi.org/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker-system

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Look for some older (80's, 90's if your lucky) B&W, Polk etc. bookshelf speakers, if they are in good condition buy them.

Pair them up with a TA2020 T-class amp. (from Ebay)

There you go, true mid-fi setup that should be very good sounding. Later on you can upgrade the amp to a more powerful D-class offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back