College desktop speakers
Aug 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Arboginge911

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, 
I recently moved into College down at ISU. With regards to music, I have my iHome alarm clock that has speakers, but I'm looking for  something more, specifically, desktop speakers. Obviously they can't be incredibly expensive, or large. 
My friend said he could get me Harmon Kardon sound sticks for a decent price, any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help. 

Dan. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 9
I see you're from Minnesota and you said "down at ISU", are you talking about Iowa State University? I go there too and will be heading there Thursday. My recommendation would be M-Audio BX5 D2's for ~$186. I have a pair that I will be bringing with me if you want to listen. They aren't really desk sized though. They will be fine on a shelf above your desk though. If you go to the ISU I'm talking about, they fit on the first shelf above computer area on our desks.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I see you're from Minnesota and you said "down at ISU", are you talking about Iowa State University? I go there too and will be heading there Thursday. My recommendation would be M-Audio BX5 D2's for ~$186. I have a pair that I will be bringing with me if you want to listen. They aren't really desk sized though. They will be fine on a shelf above your desk though. If you go to the ISU I'm talking about, they fit on the first shelf above computer area on our desks.

I do in fact mean Iowa State University, I moved in on Sunday. I'd love to give them a listen, if you've ever got time!
And thanks for the rec, I'll definitely do my own research on those as well!

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 9
If you can get the H/K Soundsticks for a good price then give them a shot.

I've heard them and they are good for the money.

I'm not a fan of their looks but some people really like their design.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
If you can get the H/K Soundsticks for a good price then give them a shot.

I've heard them and they are good for the money.

I'm not a fan of their looks but some people really like their design.

Doesn't OP want music quality over looks though?    Something tells me H/K Soundsticks is very colored....

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Doesn't OP want music quality over looks though?    Something tells me H/K Soundsticks is very colored....

It's a $100 2.1 computer speaker set .. you're expecting a neutral balanced sound?

Expectations need to be reasonable at this price point.

A2's are quite 'colored' actually .. you find a lot of people who enjoy the sound though so a colored sound isn't necessarily bad either.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 9
I've had some good luck with Swan products. Used to own a M200MKII, upgraded to a T200b. I've had a chance to audition their D1080 IV and think it's another good budget option in the under $200 range. 

Most of what they export to the US is available here: http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&cPath=21_24&osCsid=dd82231bf462e07149d75c59f922e5aa

There are also some decent Fostex and Audioengine options on the Shoreline Audio closeout page here: http://www.shorelinemusic.com/closeouts/

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Don't touch the soundsticks - they've got even less midrange than most 2.1 desktop systems - a really disappointing sound for music - logitech 2.1 sounds better by A LOT.

A2 should be fine. Apparently they sound exactly like the A5 but with less bass, so they sound basically perfect. I had the A5 for over a year and thought the bass was too loud, but the timbre was absolutely excellent, especially the tweeters are really sweet; very crisp yet smooth but not overpowering the midrange. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back