dumas045

New Head-Fier
I got into the following schools:

Univesity of Washington
University of Pittsburgh
Worcester Polytechnic
Georgia Tech
Northeastern

Anyone have any experiences when they went or are attending these colleges? I'm having a hard time deciding where to go, and I just want to know some first-hand experiences people had with these schools, ie class sizes, student body, dorm room quality etc.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 42
Hey...congratulations on your acceptances. What will you majoring in?

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 42
Georgia Tech is a great school for math, engineering, certain sciences, et cetera, but the campus sucks; the rest of Atlanta makes up for it, IMO, but that's just me.

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 42
If your career path is in the biological sciences, I'd go to UW with no hesitation. Their resources are immense.

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 42
I was a prof. at Pitt for a short time and liked the place a lot. But U Wash and GT are good choices too. The others are less distinguished academically. I'm focusing on the cities and academics--can't speak to dorms and the like.

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumas045
I got into the following schools:

Univesity of Washington
University of Pittsburgh
Worcester Polytechnic
Georgia Tech
Northeastern

Anyone have any experiences when they went or are attending these colleges? I'm having a hard time deciding where to go, and I just want to know some first-hand experiences people had with these schools, ie class sizes, student body, dorm room quality etc.

This isn't that hard...

I think you can safely narrow it down to Wash. Pitt. and GT since you don't want to be stuck at a non BCS school for four years. I'd then eliminate Washington because it is in the PAC-10. Big East lacks quality football (although Meyvn may say something different
very_evil_smiley.gif
), so you can cross off Pitt. See, there's really only one reasonable option...

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 42
ok, I was typing out a really long response to this earlier but had to go to class. I'll post something thorough tomorrow. I'm a GT student (civil engineering) and the cliff's notes version is that I love it here. But like everyone else said, it would be great to know what you want to study. More to come later...

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 42
If you are doing Computer Science, EE, chemistry, biology, then definitely should consider UW. The buildings are amazing plus there are many networking you can get (think Microsoft).
On the other hand, the other departments are really underfunded. I am in Economics and my department is giant mess, Overcrowded, no funding, senior professors leaving. It's similar situation with other social science as well. Business is pretty good as well, and fairly competative.

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 42
Computer Engineering? My roommate at the UW was in Computer Engineering. I don't know about the other schools, but I can safely say you won't go wrong at UW for that major. Their resources are amazing for anything medical or computer related. Warning: The Computer Engineering program is VERY competitive, so you better be good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 42
I graduated from GT as a Mechanical Engineering Major. I can highly recomend it, just make sure you want to be an engineer or an architect type.

By the way, Atlanta is a great town to have fun in (my grades show it
eek.gif
). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back