College audiophiles unite!
Sep 11, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #16 of 58
Quote:
Another freshman here. I'm aiming to go into computer science and/or electrical engineering. College has been great, but it helps that classes only started a few days ago (been here for two weeks).

I've barely had any time to listen to music here though, I've busted out my IEMs once and that's it 
basshead.gif

are you serious, hembergler? I thought you were a crusty, gelatinous old guy.
blink.gif

I admit my age bias; you always seemed smarter than a pimply freshman.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #17 of 58
Hah, I've been mistaken before plenty of times. It's especially deceptive here since I joined here in '05, which makes me look much more seasoned than I actually am (considering that I was 8th grade when I signed up).

I really like the idea of being both crusty and gelatinous at the same time. I'll have to keep working on that!

Quote:
are you serious, hembergler? I thought you were a crusty, gelatinous old guy.
blink.gif

I admit my age bias; you always seemed smarter than a pimply freshman.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #18 of 58

Quote:
Another freshman here. I'm aiming to go into computer science and/or electrical engineering. College has been great, but it helps that classes only started a few days ago (been here for two weeks).

I've barely had any time to listen to music here though, I've busted out my IEMs once and that's it 
basshead.gif

I've actually found I've had loads of listening time... I only have at most 5 hours of classes in a day, with huge breaks in between, and I can listen and do my homework at the same time.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #19 of 58
Quote:
Yeah... I worry for the future, but now it's extremely easy. Physics and Calc are basically nothing new.

My friend and roommate is a Materials Sci and Eng major, do you have any tips for that poor guy?

I know what you mean. My first year was basically a review of high school so I never studied and had loads of free time. However, this semester has been much worse. Luckily, I've already taken a couple of 300 level classes so my course load next semester shouldn't be nearly as bad.

As for advice, there's not really anything out of the ordinary but it's more crucial with a small class size. Make sure to make friends with most of the class or at least know them. Forming study groups is really important. In my class everyone knows or knows of each other and we have really close knit group which makes everything much easier. Also make sure you have a good relationship with your professors if possible. The most important thing, at least for me as I tend to procrastinate like none other, is don't put homework off. If you have some free time at least get a decent start on it as a bunch of stuff can pop up. Most of this isn't too critical early on but it helps a lot later.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #20 of 58
Washington University in St. Louis here. Bio major, going down the notorious Pre-med track this place has. It isn't exactly notorious, actually, but apparently the weeding hits hard and fast sophomore year, so we'll see. For now, I'm just sitting and browsing head-fi in my Calc class. Don't think there's a head-fi community here, but who knows? Maybe someone'll pop out of nowhere with SE530s or something
wink.gif

On the other hand, the USPS located on campus is horrible. The packages are almost always manhandled, the reception is caustic and lecherous (they heavily favor the female side of campus and provide service accordingly), and I think they just mistakenly shipped my own package back to me. damn.

Edit: Luckily I haven't gotten my mail sent back to me, but what I did find out was that the package was in poor condition and kept over the weekend. It's a lose-lose situation, but I got away with less damage.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 58
I have not gone into my major yet. I'm still working on my business cores.

I am undecided with my choices. I want to start up a business and one day become CEO of the company. What would be the best choice out of these two?

1. Minor in Management Information Systems
  2. Major in BS in Entrepreneurship
  3. Major in MBA Management

Or

2. Major in BS in Management
  3. Major in MBA Entrepreneurship

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #22 of 58
My college is a bit odd in that you apply for first, second, and third choice majors. Different programs have different levels of competetiveness.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 58

Quote:

I am undecided with my choices. I want to start up a business and one day become CEO of the company. What would be the best choice out of these two?

Or

That is a tough cal, if you get your masters in Management, you would know how to better run your business but if you focused on Entrepreneurship you'd better know how to open a business. What kind of business are you looking at opening?

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 58
Boy its been a while since i've visited these forums. I guess that in itself speaks about the time i have for actualy listening anymore.

I am at Univ of Oxford, Keble College reading Economics and Management.
Any other people from the other side of the pond?

Quote:
HeadFi Fanatic said:

Or

Head-Fi fanatic, I would highly suggest that you do some basic Economics, Finance and Financial Reporting options (if you can). An MBA is not very beneficial without at least a few years of work experience, and at bachelors level, while somewhat interesting, it doesn't really offer much in terms of setting up a company (at least from what I was taught). For that, work exp is pretty much the best option. I really can't comment on the Entrepreneurship aspect of the course, but don't expect it to impart some magical knowledge (as with any and all courses).

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 58
i am in my fourth year at California State University Channel Islands. I am only just over half way done, however, since i am dual majoring. Doing chemistry and applied physics. once i have that, i will transfer somewhere else to pursue engineering. 

beside that i like all of my classes (excluding Spanish) i have had a very hard time getting into college. i believe it is because i life off campus with my parents so it is hard to spend a lot of time with people i meet at school. Its not like someone could shoot me a text and i would be two rooms down. haha

havent seen any headphones besides the stock apple buds. did you know people actually buy them again when they break?? anyway, its pretty sad. i get weird looks when i bust out my rickety old CMOY.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #27 of 58
I'm in my last year at McMaster University, studying Environmental Science after recently transferring from Materials Engineering. Seem to be many of those on this thread, eh! I've been a long time lurker of this forum (since 2003, haha). All the best to those still in school!

Repping for the Canucks up north lol
o2smile.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #28 of 58

Quote:

Head-Fi fanatic, I would highly suggest that you do some basic Economics, Finance and Financial Reporting options (if you can). An MBA is not very beneficial without at least a few years of work experience, and at bachelors level, while somewhat interesting, it doesn't really offer much in terms of setting up a company (at least from what I was taught). For that, work exp is pretty much the best option. I really can't comment on the Entrepreneurship aspect of the course, but don't expect it to impart some magical knowledge (as with any and all courses).

I've got basic economics, finance, and financial reporting covered in the curriculum regardless of what major I choose since it's required for all business students. Thanks for your help. I've sat down with the advisers here and I have an idea now. I can actually study Entrepreneur within a Management major and vice versa. It depends on what is listed in each. I'll take a closer look at what is suitable for me. My adviser was leaning towards Management, but I'll see.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #29 of 58

Quote:
I've got basic economics, finance, and financial reporting covered in the curriculum regardless of what major I choose since it's required for all business students. Thanks for your help. I've sat down with the advisers here and I have an idea now. I can actually study Entrepreneur within a Management major and vice versa. It depends on what is listed in each. I'll take a closer look at what is suitable for me. My adviser was leaning towards Management, but I'll see.

My only advice with this is, make sure you are doing what makes you happy, I got 6 credits away from finishing my finance degree before I truly admitted to myself that I dislike finance quite a bit and was just doing it because I "thought" its what I wanted to do. I ended up finishing that degree anyway as a fallback, but just make sure you are doing what makes you happy, you may come to find out that you infact hate managing people.

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #30 of 58
Cool thread.

Freshman!  I just started out at the University of Texas at Dallas.  Majoring in EE and looking to pursue a minor in music.  Gonna try to approach audio engineering someday.  Classes are easy right now (almost a review of high school) so I get plenty of listening time, but the billiards tables have attracted me...  Silly student union.  Anyways, no other major head-fi people around that I can tell.  Did see one guy walking around with Grados but wasn't close enough to see which he had.  Was plastic so 225 or down.

Best of luck to those in school!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back