Collecting Inexpensive Headphones?
Feb 25, 2006 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
I know what it means to be financially challenged. Therefore I understand those who by necessity use a quality inexpensive headphone (Like the Koss KSC75’s). There is however something that I just don’t understand. Judging by member’s signatures and profiles there are many members who have multiple (sometimes 12+) inexpensive headphones. Why? To me it would make more sense to get one very high quality headphone. Since you can only use one headphone at a time getting one really good one makes much more sense to me. Or am I just crazy?

Or are they just collectors? If you collect high performance headphones it could be argued that you are in it for the sound quality as well as the joy of collecting. If you’re collecting cheap headphones the collecting has clearly trumped sound quality.

AKG K701 > (FX55, RP-HZ90, HP-MD33S, MDR-E931SP, ATH-M2X, ATH-FC7, PMX60)

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 18
I guess you saw mine LMAO.

Well, you may go only for sound, but I have STYLE AND LOOKS to keep up as well.
And I use headphones for various different srouces (FX55 + MD33S for travelling; ATH-M2X for my guitar; PMX60 + PX100's for outside)

And some I got for free. Yeah, I know it takes a lot out of a 15-year old's wallet.

But that's why I'm here, isn't it?

Not to mention that EACH HEADPHONE I HAVE has a VERY different sound.
And how do you know if they're not high quality?
Price doesn't always mean good sound. DUH.

Not to mention I got 90% of them for bargain price?
ATH-M2X = $15 CDN shipped
JVC HP-FX55 = $29 CDN shipped
Panasonic RP-HZ90 = $17 CDN shipped

And the list will go on.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 18
I have more than one Koss 60 ohm model and I think they represent a great value.... so, in a certain (head-fi
biggrin.gif
) sense, the more you buy the more value you accumulate. They all have slightly different sound signatures and different form factors.

KSC75x2 = $15 each
sportapro used $8
KTXPro1 = $15

total it all up and it equals $53. I cant really think of any one $50 headphone I would rather have. An SR60 would trounce on any of these, but youre not going to find one for $50.

Garrett

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
I know what it means to be financially challenged. Therefore I understand those who by necessity use a quality inexpensive headphone (Like the Koss KSC75’s). There is however something that I just don’t understand. Judging by member’s signatures and profiles there are many members who have multiple (sometimes 12+) inexpensive headphones. Why? To me it would make more sense to get one very high quality headphone. Since you can only use one headphone at a time getting one really good one makes much more sense to me. Or am I just crazy?

I agree with you to some extent, although things should be taken on a case by case basis IMO. For example, I know Kramer5150 enjoys heavily modding his cans to take them to a higher level of sound.

I own AKG K501s and DT880s, and could sell them both and buy a pair of AKG K701s... but I wouldn't do it. Why? Because I love the sonic signatures of both my cans, and prefer to have two different sounds (perhaps with slightly less ultimate SQ) than one headphone like the K701. I might buy the K701 in the future to add to my collection, but no way will I be selling off my K501s or DT880s.

Edit -- well, maybe the K501 will go eventually and I'll get the K701 as a replacement (when they're more widely available)... but not my DT880.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 18
For me, all the collecting was fun and relatively inexpensive to begin with...and they all sounded really good at the time
smily_headphones1.gif
. I don't regret it, cause it's still exciting to learn about new "gems" and such or hear about modding opportunities. The whole thing has definitely made head-fi a more accessible thing for a lot of people.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
The whole thing has definitely made head-fi a more accessible thing for a lot of people.

That's true... to feel really involved on head-fi, it seems like you've always gotta be buying, modding or building something
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 18
For me, I think staying on the really low end of the spectrum will keep me from having to change my source, buy an amp, re-rip all my music to FLAC and such, etc., etc.

Plus i don't have the money
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
For me, all the collecting was fun and relatively inexpensive to begin with...and they all sounded really good at the time
smily_headphones1.gif
. I don't regret it, cause it's still exciting to learn about new "gems" and such or hear about modding opportunities. The whole thing has definitely made head-fi a more accessible thing for a lot of people.

Exactly what I was thinking.
biggrin.gif

I mean, you have to start somewhere to actually hear the difference high-fi cans can offer.
I'm not going to buy any expensive cans until I get a job anyways.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 18
i also agree with what gshan said, but i think personally, i prefer to get headphones with the best value. I like koss and have several different pairs of them and they all rock.

that also explains why my "best" phone is an SR60, another good value phone; not exactly up there in the head-fi order.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 18
Because I have a very good pair of headphones, i look on accumulating a collection of lesser models as being the best way to expand my experiences and my know-how with regard to headphone tech and sound. The more models that you listen to, the better equiped you are to critique future models you purchase or try. Naturally cheaper headpheons are the best way to go about this as they dont cripple your bank balance so badly.

I personally like the "adventure" of listening to my favouriote music again with a new piece of equipement, even if that equipment isnt an improvment on what i already have.

Indeed in looking forward to hearing Tubular Bells through my new headphoens when they arrive in the next few days.

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 18
Agreed with OP. I had built up a collection of 8 inexpensive headphones, a couple of cheap sources, and a budget amp, most of which I wasn't using. So I sold all of the budget gear off, earned about $350, and used the money to fund a better source and amp for the HD 600.

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 18
So far my phones are all low end. But I try not to get multiples of the same format, except the koss 60 ohms. By getting the hd201 and ep630 i came to the conclusion that i rather have a great sounding iem rather than a full sized phone. Full sized phones just don't fit my lifestyle, i don't have time to listen at home all that much. And portability ranks high for me.

I'm not dissapointed at all for spending $20 ish on the hd201 and $35 on the ep630 (even though you can get the retails for less now). The hd201 actually is great when i hook it up to the home a/v receiver. Enough mid-bass to actually have a good listening. But my portable sources, even amped can't get it to sing just right, so it's the phone i'll leave at home for everyone to enjoy. The ep630, sure i wish i got the retail for the price they're available at now, but i'm not spending another dime on the same phones. Maybe a set of shure sleeves. What i get out of the ep630 is a realization that iems do fit my lifestyle. So now i'm trying to save up for that $150-200 iem. The kosses, i got ksc-50 at a time the ksc-35 was discontinued. They sound similar, but very different fit. I really do like the fit and lightweight of the 35s. If the ksc-75 doesn't have frog legs for clips, i would've gotten it too. But seeing as i already have 2 similar phones, i think i'll pass for now.

That's my reason.

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 18
Being a beginner in this audiophile business, i still don't know enough about headphones. I like to work my way up from lesser headphones. I don't even have any amps or cmoys (whatever those are) or fancy cables. I started this quest when I was sure there's gotta be better headphones then the ibuds. plus my dad's really into hi-fi systems so i guess i got it from him. I just bought a HD201 and I'm very satisfied. When i get more experienced i would certainly look forward to getting higher-end cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back