Coldplay's two albums
Aug 19, 2003 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Silver

500+ Head-Fier
Am I the only one who think their debut, Parachutes, is better than their second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head? Basically I like every song on Parachutes while I find some songs on AROBTB rather dull and boring(e.g. A Whisper). I would like to hear you guys' perspective on this.

Aug 19, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 31
yeah, same here. for some reason everything sounds the same on their last one. a lot of stuff doesn't seem to go anywhere. I found it immensly boring, while Parahcutes is IMO brilliant.

Aug 19, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 31
Listening to Everything's Not Lost off Parachutes, it just brings me immense hope for some reasons. A very powerful sing-along.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 31
Actually I sometimes feel the same way as you, silver. Parachutes is a fantastic album and I find myself listening to it more than AROBTTH (relatively, since Parachutes is older of course)... BUT I consider Rush Of Blood to be a much better flowing album. Listened to in one go is a very satisfying experience, the music fits very tightly with one another and IMO Martin's songcraft is better.
Parachutes has brilliant songs that work more by themselves, though.

Aug 19, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 31
'Parachutes' is more cohesive, and has a singular theme throughout: an unrelenting optimism amongst the sorrow.

A Rush of Blood to the Head was honky and inconsistent, and only the first five songs are any good... and Amsterdam is a beautiful song. But there are so many that just don't hold up. Green Eyes, A Whisper, the title song, etc.

Aug 19, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 31
Yeah, I am mostly in agreement with you guys. AROBTTH has some really great songs on it, but some bad ones as well. Parachutes has generally good songs throughout, but its great songs are not as great as some of the songs in AROBTTH.

Aug 19, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 31
Although AROBTTH is not as good as Parachutes overall, but it has a real fantastic song: Clocks. The piano loops of that song drives one into a never seen before realm... I know I am a bit exaggerated though.
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 31
This shouldn't even be up for debate. The first album, is without a shadow of a doubt superior to their second. The first one, while far from perfect, was a good, solid listen. On the second album, the band musically has improved, but at the heavy costs of songwriting skills, consistancy, etc. It just kinda sucks, IMHO

Aug 19, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 31
I actually wasn't interested in Coldplay until AROBTTH, but after I bought AROBTTH I listened to it for a week straight. A few months later I got Parachutes, and it was definitely harder to get into, but is actually still played while AROBTTH isn't played as much.

Aug 20, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #12 of 31
Hmm...though I like the atmosphere created by the instrumentation, Clocks is one of my least favorite songs on AROBTTH. The chorus is extremely weak ("Singing you are" - what, is that it??
mad.gif
), the bridge feels awkward, and overall the melody doesn't really move me. It's a shame, cause with a start like that they could've made a killer song.

The Scientist...now there's a song. I don't know exactly what it is, but there's something about the melancholy that's so heartfelt, so sad and yet at the same time so soothing...a catharsis of sorts. The video is outstanding as well.

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 31
Anyway...

I'm probably wrong about this, but I've always felt that "The Scientist" was about the lead character from the book/movie The Time Machine .

The lyrics describe a once work-obsessed man that falls in love only to lose that love. The theme of going in circles and nothing changing implies going back in time only to find you cannot change the past.

Can anybody else see the connection? Or am I just out of my gourd as usual?

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 31
Oh, and I agree with jms007bnd007 on the discs.

While there are some great tracks from AROBTTH, I do not enjoy the whole disc. "Parachutes" IMO feels like one continuous musical theme. I love all of "Parachutes," however, I enjoy certain songs off of AROBTTH better that any song off of their first.

And am I the only one here that actually likes the song Clocks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back