Cold Feet...Did I make the right choice with the Voyager?
Feb 23, 2008 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wharfrat1

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered my Voyager on Monday from Audio Affair. It's backordered until this Monday. I have been at peace all week with the decision. Great SQ, big bass, will mate well with IEM's. All sounds perfect since I will be using it with my Ipod->325i's, but mainly Ipod->SE530's. Plus listening to mainly rock, this sounds perfect!

All was well until today. The delay with shipping and too much time on my hands meant reading way too much today. Now I've got some cold feet. Do I switch to the Tomahawk due to it reported synergy with the 530's, do I go a little higher to the well trusted Hornet, for the bigger bass, or do I go with the cheaper, very well reviewed GoVibe Petite (which sounds like a good fit for my setup as well)?

I paid $460 for the Voyager w/shipping(dang exchange rate!). All of the other options are significantly cheaper to get. Plus all are much smaller...but, I went and re-read every thread on the Voyager, and man does it still sound like it's going to be incredible...ahhhh!

Someone, throw me some reassurance.

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 19
I have the Voyager and I think you made the right choice. Sure, it's not cheap and certainly not very small, but the sound... At the moment I use it to amp my 5g Ipod and when I'm working behind the computer, it amps my soundcard. While I'm deciding whether I'm willing to shell out twice the amount I spent on the Voyager to purchase the Graham Slee Solo headamp, it also amps my home stereo. I use Beyerdynamics DT999 (classic), Beyerdynamics DT831, AKG K500 and AKG K181DJ. The Voyager does different things to each can, but in general the sound is much clearer, the bass tight but deep, percussion is clear and sweet. I'm not sure how to describe what it does to a double bass or an electric bass, but once you've heard it, you don't want to be without. It also places the vocals at the front (which I like) and acoustic guitar never sounded so good before. I hear much more detail and instrument separation is good. So, in all, I'd say, congrats with your Voyager and I hope it arrives soon! I sure love mine.

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 19
I have two voyagers!
rolleyes.gif
It is a very nice amp which I have loaned to two Head-Fiers: oidcn and jpelg

Send both a PM to find out how they feel about the amp. If you decide to change your mind I would rather get the SR-71 over the Tomahawk.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 19
Voyager stomps all the amps I've heard ATM...it's ugly, but christ is it a beast.

Check my sig for my review to read my impression on the Voyager.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG...you bought the second Voyager...they've been trying to sell it for three months and it's been the laughingstock of the forums
eek.gif

Just kidding. Enjoy your new amp, I would love to hear one of those myself.

I do not know what you are talking about. I have had the two Voyagers for a few months, one is a high gain and the 2nd is a low gain version. Both sound fantastic.

Right now both are on loan to jpelg. Are you in CONUS?

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 19
I don;t have the Voyager, but have the Solo, and from everything I've heard about the Voyager you made the right choice. Just have patience, the wait is worth it. You must remember that each unit is hand built and I recall reading in that they are getting ready to make a shipment.

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG...you bought the second Voyager...they've been trying to sell it for three months and it's been the laughingstock of the forums
eek.gif

Just kidding. Enjoy your new amp, I would love to hear one of those myself.

Been for sale for 3 months and they have already sold at least 500.

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 19
Thanks to all of you for the reassurance. I guess a little too much research can be a bad thing sometimes. Audio Affair said it has been sent out to ship and I should have by the end of the week. Now that would be a Friday treat for sure! I will share some thoughts as soon as it arrives.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #14 of 19
I thin you're fine.
Just hang in there until it arrives...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back