Coffee Roaster - Fi
Jul 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DoKwan

New Head-Fier
Just made the leap to home roasting.

Our new Behmor 1600 is burning in and ready to go.

Anyone out there home roast and have any advice?

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 5
I was thinking about getting the Behmor. How do you like it?

I have a HotTop right now but I need to make more quantity and don't want to buy another HotTop (too much money). Commercial roasters are too big and need gas hookups.

Roasting is definitely an art and takes time. Each bean is different too. But going shortly into 2nd crack is a good measure for me. I am not sure how this works on the Behmor since it has to stop earlier to cool down. The HotTop ejects so cools quicker, which is very important.

Have fun!

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 5
It doesn't sell it in Japan though it knew there is a roaster named Behmor 1600.
The smell at roast might be terrible.
Actually how?
(I like that smell. The family is so and doesn't exist. )
redface.gif

I like oily roast. (Italian roast)
As for the hand roast, timing is understood. However, it is troublesome work.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 5
I suggest making a log of all of your roasts. This has been very helpful to me (especially in the beginning). It's nice to be able to go back and look at what settings yielded what results. I have a database on my computer that I log all the roast info as well as take pics of the beans before and after.

Also, if you haven't already checked it out, Sweet Marias is amazing. They have an amazing selection of raw coffees and accessories.
Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's

Have fun and don't be afraid to make mistakes! Also, post some pics of your roasts
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back