coffee online
Mar 2, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 59
Take this from a non-coffee drinker. I live and work with coffee LOVERS. I love being IN coffee shops, but I typically will only drink iced coffee etc. But quite a few of my friends and family love BocaJava.

This link has Buy 2 Get 2 Free, so for around $12 you can try 4 bags of their coffee. Let me know what you think if you try it.

https://www.bocajava.com/cluboffer_b...omo=bjchall_hp

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #17 of 59
Coffee... ewwwww... i hate coffee. I tried it in university to stay up for those all nighters, but I hate the taste of it. I'd rather just grab 2 cans of Jolt Cola and a couple cans of Monster or Red Bull to keep me up.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 59
The best coffee is from beans that are just roasted, so you will want to look for a good microroaster, heres a few off the top of my head, they all sell single estate (Jamica Blue Mountain, Kona, Kenya, etc..) and blends.
Cheaper:
San Marco (used to go by the name San Giorgio)
St Ives Coffee Roasters

A bit more money:
Intelligentsiacoffee

Stay away from chain coffees, IE Starbucks, etc.. there over priced and stale, anywhere up to 6 months or more from roasted.

Edit
Also if your really into coffee check out the head-fi equivalent forum for coffee geeks

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #19 of 59
I don't know. Coffee ordered online? Doesn't it get cold before it is delivered?

Seriously, a great inexpensive way to get terrific coffee is to roast it yourself. It is not hard, many hot air popcorn poppers will get the job done and the unroasted (green) beans cost four or five dollars per pound.

try www.sweetmarias.com or www.coffeegeek.com for more info on coffee than you can imagine.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from chain coffees, IE Starbucks, etc.. there over priced and stale, anywhere up to 6 months or more from roasted.[/URL]

Starbucks is great... if they are overpriced it's because they not only pay their employees well but they pay those people in third world countries well for the coffee bean unlike most 'cheaper' places. I buy whole beans from Starbucks which is still wet when I open the bag, you can't tell me that's 6 months old.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starbucks is great... if they are overpriced it's because they not only pay their employees well but they pay those people in third world countries well for the coffee bean unlike most 'cheaper' places. I buy whole beans from Starbucks which is still wet when I open the bag, you can't tell me that's 6 months old.

I won't say Starbucks is great but what you get is consistency and i love their mugs
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #22 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Give them a call sometime with the lot number on the bag, there phone number is (800) 782-7282 and ask them when the coffee was roasted, nothing against Starbucks, all the chains run like that.

I have nothing against paying 10 dollars for a pound of coffee, but I expect FRESH coffee for that price. Fresh meaning something that was roasted no longer then 3 days ago.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #25 of 59
roast your own beans. you can buy green beans for about $4-6/lb. if you go through about 2 lbs/month, you pay for the roaster in about 10 months with what you saved roasting your own beans...and then it's all savings after that.

plus, roasted coffee really only stays fresh for about a week to 10 days...

i've been using the iRoast2 with fantastic results...check sweetmarias.com for more info.

i'm a big fan of french presses...using freshly roasted beans, a Mazzer Mini grinder, and a french press...fantastic coffee. my next coffee purchase is a Technivorm KBT741 coffee maker. usually i'd say that $200 on a coffee machine is a waste of money...but the Technivorm is in another league altogether...

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coffee... ewwwww... i hate coffee. I tried it in university to stay up for those all nighters, but I hate the taste of it. I'd rather just grab 2 cans of Jolt Cola and a couple cans of Monster or Red Bull to keep me up.

I'm drinking a missile silo of Jolt Cola right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea French press is the way to go, vaccum pots make a good cup to.

I use a French Press. I buy my beans from a local roaster (www.francescoscoffee.com) and grind them myself before brewing. I need a better grinder though. I use a $40 burr grinder. It does okay I guess, but from what I am told I need something better that will provide even more refinement in the quality and size of the grounds. For the FP, I need my grounds a bit larger than what my grinder can do on the largest setting.

The vacuum pot seems really interesting, does it really provide a better experience than a French Press? I've stayed away from espresso machines thus far, mainly because of cost, but eventually I would like to get into it. For now, I just want the best method for brewing a cup of java.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back