Cocteau Twins: Victorialand 12" 45 RMP vinyl
May 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Is anyone else familiar with this unique album? Word has it that the engineers were unhappy with the way the minimal soundscapes sounded in 33 1/3, so they mastered it to be played back at 45 RMP. It certainly sounds... spacy and ethereal. Really neat find for me at a used records store.

May 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 5
It's well known in some audiphile circles that 45rpm vinyl will sound better than 33rpm - with more dynamic range available. That said, for such a quiet, etheral sound of Victorialand, imo the original recording quality would be more important than the speed of the vinyl cut. I did have that album in my vinyl days and it's SQ was much better than Coctuea Twins' Treasure album, but the latter's SQ was a pretty low starting point.

Obviously, the 45rpm option is only viable for shorter length albums, unless you start using 2 slabs of vinyl for a single album (which some audiophile labels have done).

On the music front, if you liked Victorialand, you may want to check out:

Cocteau Twins - Heavan or Las Vegas. More "uplifting" than "ethereal". It's more poppy and commercial, but that doesn't stop it from, arguably, being CT's finest hour.

This Mortal Coil - It'll End in Tears. Elizabeth Frazer joins a sort of indie super group to produce a unique ethereal sound - darker, more gothic than Victorialand.

May 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the tip on This Mortal Coil - have just picked up a copy of the album on vinyl, by chance, and it's all the incentive I need to get the TT set up properly... (Have been enjoying the Cocteau Twins for years).

May 25, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the tips, TheAttorney.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's funny the things I come upon in used record shops/yard sales here in Toronto.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back