Cocteau Twins questions
Sep 8, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #16 of 39
Bootlegs are what they are - but some retailers actually carry bootlegs, and here on the net I suspect that bootlegs are widely available... ?

Tracks:

Summer Blink
Three Swept
Interlude Mud and Dark
Acapella Liz - Touch Upon Touch
Alice
Circling Girl
Fruitopia Watchlar
Need Fire
Smile
Round
Bluebeard - Acoustic
An Elan
Primitive Heart
Tranquil Eye
Flock of Soul

I'm sure I could figure it out by browsing some discography,
I'll have to do that if you can't help me quicker
tongue.gif

For example - these might be the B-sides of the singles box??

Sep 8, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Astroinvader
Bootlegs are what they are - but some retailers actually carry bootlegs

Not if they want to stay in business
wink.gif
I know of at least two retailers in Los Angeles who were actually shut down for carrying them.

Actually, none of the singles you listed are even B-sides.

Sep 8, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 39
FWIW, I only like Blue Bell Knoll, Heaven or Las Vegas, and parts of Four Calendar Cafe. Early stuff is very primitive, and marred by horrendously outdated drum machines (very cheap 80s sound-- yuck!). You can get "Stars and Topsoil" which is a greatest hits package slanted toward early years, nicely re-mastered but again, does anyone really want to subject themselves to the early stuff? I think only long-time fans maybe. Beyond this there are no re-masterings, but when they do release them, Heaven or Las Vegas is the one to get, it's a great album the group pretty much in peak form. Sound quality is poor on the currently available later work though so you might want to wait.

markl

Sep 8, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 39
Markl - I agree, but you have to admit that Treasure is a very good album regarless of sound quality.

And to me, drum machines can kick ass!
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing with many albums that use old style drum machines is that they are often mastered for cd during the middle eighties and therefore sound crap.

Sep 8, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #21 of 39
As a product of the 80s (not my fault, accident of birth), I feel I have special priveledges when it comes to slamming 80's production techniques. This was a great dark age of audio when electronic music was (for the most part) not yet sophisticated enough to produce timeless sounds. These recordings are doomed to forever sound "of their time" and early CT falls into this tragic abyss, IMO.

The intersting thing was that even during this time period, you still knew that these recordings sounded bad, and age has not been kind to them, either.

Nevertheless, as technology caught up to artistry, late CT works are outstanding, especially Heaven... Love that album.

markl

Sep 9, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #22 of 39
LOL, DarkAngel!

Quote:

Originally posted by markl
does anyone really want to subject themselves to the early stuff?

Definitely! Anyone who likes the Cocteau Twins owes it to themselves to get Treasure. Sound quality really isn't that bad -- drum machines are admittedly 80s-era, but the rest of the sound is pretty good.

I would personally place Heaven or Las Vegas #3, behind Treasure and Blue Bell Knoll. HOLV definitely has better sound quality, but then again, I heard a Back Street Boys album the other day that has much better sound quality than my copy of Who's Next
biggrin.gif

j/k, but you know what I mean. Heaven or Las Vegas has good sound, and is definitely a good album, but I don't think it's as good as the other two.

Sep 27, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 39
I like garlands myself.

Yuck... the music forum is starting to share the opinions of allmusic.com. I honestly didn't care for treasure. Much too soft and fuzzy for my taste. Check out their older stuff. I'd also highly recommend the old stuff from This mortal coil. "alone" is an awesome song.

Sep 27, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
I like garlands myself.

Yuck... the music forum is starting to share the opinions of allmusic.com. I honestly didn't care for treasure. Much too soft and fuzzy for my taste. Check out their older stuff. I'd also highly recommend the old stuff from This mortal coil. "alone" is an awesome song.

Man, give `Lorelei` another listen. Then move on to `Donimo`, and most of the stuff in between
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #25 of 39
I have sold two Cocteau Twins albums and own the rest.

-Garlands, I thought was not quite ready for prime time, rough around the edges and doesn't flow or have the intricate developments of later albums. This is CC twins learning their craft,
but still not quite together yet.

-Milk and Kisses, the song quality is not the main issue here it is the CD sound quality, it is amazingly bad for a new recording in the mid 1990's, brittle hard grainy treble except for last couple tracks.

So my advice skip 1st and last CD, go for the rest especially the middle period while still with 4AD label.

Sep 27, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #26 of 39
I'm listening to loreli right now...

it honestly sounds too sweet and soft. It actually makes me sleepy. Hmm... i guess i understand why your name is zzz now. (j/k)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 24, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #27 of 39
I heartily second the TREASURE recommendation. This CD has a timeless quality about it. I keep going back to it again and again even after having owned it for ~16 years.

I own the Forgotten 4AD Tracks, and it's ok. IIRC it was pretty expensive when I bought it ($30+) about 8-10 years ago. I saw it only once, bought it, never have seen it again. But it doesn't get near the play-time in my system that Treasure gets.

If I had to select one period as outlined by MacDEF in his earlier post, I'd go for the middle period. Those are hands down my favorites -- beautiful, dreamy, shades of pastels and grays... Unlike anything else I have in my ever-growing CD collection.

Aug 30, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #29 of 39
All their full length CDs except for Moon and the Melodies and Milk Kisses were released in remastered versions a couple of months ago, but I haven't heard them.

I was really into the Twins about 15-20 years ago, especially Head over Heels and Treasure, which I'd say are their best albums. I don't like to listen to those ones any more though, they sound too dated to me. I still listen to Milk and Kisses, Blue Bell Knoll, and Heaven or Las Vegas once in while. And the Spangle Maker-Pearly Dewdrops Drops EP, which still sounds fresh to me.

Aug 30, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #30 of 39
I have both the original and the remastered versions of Treasure, and I prefer the original even though I find its CD mastering horrid. The remaster has several ****-ups (volume levels not matched properly, timing issues, etc.) and leaves the impression of something done in great haste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back