Coaxial?
May 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered a M-Audio Firewire Audiophile DAC and some Logitech Pro Media 2.1's a couple days ago. However, in order to connect the output of the DAC to the ProMedia's input 1/8" Mini jack, I'll need some sort of adapter. I'm assuming that the ProMedia's take an analog signal, since they're usually hooked up to a soundcard that does the A/D conversion. My question is, does a coaxial cable only carry a digital signal?

I was looking at getting Amazon.com Link. Would that carry an analog signal from my DAC to the ProMedia's, or would I need some other sort of cable?

Thanks in advance.

May 22, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 10
Actually I didn't notice the separate S/PDIF and RCA outputs.

firewire_audiophile_callout.jpg

May 22, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 10
Does it matter what the cable is though? Like would the cable that I linked in my original post work? It's coaxial, but I was under the impression that coaxial carried only digital audio. I don't think the Klipsch has a decoder, so would I not need some sort of analog cable?

May 22, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 10
About "coaxial"... Most people really mean "RCA cable" if they're taking about audio, or "RF cable" if they're talking about video. RCA cables can carry both analog and digital information--it's all electrical. The difference is in the method of transmission; for "coaxial" digital, the signal is sent and received using the S/PDIF format.

And yes, any 1/8" male stereo to 2 RCA males Y-adapter should work. I use this one from Cablesforless, but it seems that it's perpetually on backorder. Really anything would work, and you could even have a forum member or a place like Blue Jeans Cable custom-make you an audiophile-grade cable for around $30 shipped.

May 22, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 10
I checked Blue Jean's website, but never saw any terminations for any of the cables so I wasn't sure what exactly I'd be getting. Do you simply choose the type of cable and then include the termination in the PayPal note or something?

May 22, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 10
I am kind of surprised that BJC doesn't have a section for Y-adapters after all of the Head-Fi requests they must have received throughout the past few years.
icon10.gif

Technically, it's a "custom" cable... Send BJC an e-mail at sales@bluejeanscable.com and they'll recommend specifications and tell you how to purchase it. I e-mailed them asking the same question last winter and here's what they sent back:

"We can do that using Belden 1509C, a Canare stereo miniplug, and Calrad
RCAs. The price is $25.00 for the first foot, and $1.00 per additional
foot of length."

Using that information, you can fill out their custom order form here: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/customitem.htm.

Perhaps they would recommend something different now--it can't hurt to ask.

May 22, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 10
......it's a type of termination. Canare's web site has some good pictures of the cable types.

Coax cables consist of a central, single conductor, surrounded by a concentric insulator, in turn covered by a shield:

L(V)-Coax.jpg

Twisted pair cables are just that (in this case, intertwined with cotton to maintain the desired geometry):

L-2T2S_rev2.jpg

Star quad cables are a pair of pairs:

L-4E_rev3.jpg

In general, twisted pairs are also covered by a shield.

High frequency signals (video, digital data) are generally carried on coax cables for consumer applications.

Audio frequency signals (from low level mic signals on up) can be carried on either.

I've found that quite a few of the inexpensive RCA-to-RCA paired cables that are typically supplied with audio components are actually of coax construction rather than twisted pair. If this is the type of cable used, the shield is connected to the ground side of the RCA terminations on both ends of the cable, with the central conductor as the "hot" or signal lead. Blue Jeans standard line of cables is made this way.

When RCA-to-RCA cables are constructed from shielded twisted pair cable, one lead of the pair is "hot", the other is "signal ground", and the shield is connected to ground on one side of the cable only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back