Coaxial/Toslink to RCA cable question in regards to soundcard to speaker connection.
Aug 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Flaapy

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to connect my Asus STX soundcard to my audioengine 2 speakers through the coaxial digital output. The STX box says a toslink adapter could also be used for better connectivity (I have no idea how that works). My main question is, are there Coaxial to RCA cables I can use for this? Will I get analog output from my speakers if I connect to the soundcard this way? The STX is also a DAC so I'm curious if I can get analog out through the coaxial-RCA cable to my speakers.

The Analog RCA out will be used by my headphone amp, which is why I'm trying to use the coaxial output for my speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Sounds like you're on the path to disaster, trying to connect a digital output into an analogue input in your speakers - I can help you no more than that.

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 9
So there's no way to get audio from the S/PIFD output on the soundcard to the analog input on the A2?  
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 9
You are missing a key component - a DAC.  Digital to analog converter.  That would be the only way that you can turn that digital signal into something your audioengine speakers would be interested in playing back.  

Your sound card is a DAC in the sense that it is converting the digital audio from your PC into an analog minijack output.  You need to connect the stereo analog output of your sound card to the input on your speakers.  That coaxial digital output is for hooking up to an external DAC which you don't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back