Coaxial/Optical SP/DIF Transport
Mar 20, 2009 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

justin2net

100+ Head-Fier
I have an Apogee Mini-DAC Firewire that does not work with XP SP3 and Vista (if you would like to know more about my findings, PM me).
As a result, I am searching for a 24/192 PCIe or USB transport for relatively cheap sum. It must be 24/192 because I have quite a bit of content in 192khz, and in my testing, there is a difference (double blind tested...yes...)

I would prefer PCIe or USB so I can keep my Auzentech X-Fi prelude card for surround output. I have only 1 PCI slot.
Output has to be bitperfect as well.
If there is not a ~$100 PCIe or USB 24/192 transport, please recommend me some PCI ones (the RME Hammerfall, 1616M, Lynx AES16 are all out of range...)

Thank you!

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an Apogee Mini-DAC Firewire that does not work with XP SP3 and Vista (if you would like to know more about my findings, PM me).
As a result, I am searching for a 24/192 PCIe or USB transport for relatively cheap sum. It must be 24/192 because I have quite a bit of content in 192khz, and in my testing, there is a difference (double blind tested...yes...)

I would prefer PCIe or USB so I can keep my Auzentech X-Fi prelude card for surround output. I have only 1 PCI slot.
Output has to be bitperfect as well.
If there is not a ~$100 PCIe or USB 24/192 transport, please recommend me some PCI ones (the RME Hammerfall, 1616M, Lynx AES16 are all out of range...)

Thank you!

I'm not really sure you are going to be able to buy with confidence. I was reading a thread this week on the Steve Hofmann forums which seems to confirm in the lab what my ears have been telling me - that bitperfect often isn't. Benchmark Media Systems have the facility to be able to do true bitperfect testing and the only one they have found thus far that does it is the Lynx AES16. I know you are talking about the output, but I imagine the same rules will apply whenever digital data is put through the interface.

Replacing Sound Card - Does It Help in Improving the Sound? - SH Forums

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 7
honestly, @ the OP, you're asking for sub $100 and "flawless audiophile perfect component HAS TO BE", you aren't gonna top your X-Fi Prelude champ, sorry to tell you

just get a decent external D/A if you want something external (for whatever reason, like maybe a DD processor/reciever/preamp/etc) or hp amplifier, and stick with the Prelude

maybe opamp roll if you really gotta "tweak"

as far as the SH Forums link, interesting read, but unless he's gonna publish data, just sounds like typical jaw-jacking by "premium" manufacturer types

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 7
I have an "decent external D/A"...(read the first sentence of my post!)
I prefer the Apogee sound over the Benchmark...and a few other engineers as well!

I just need basically "PCI(e)->Coax" 24/192.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 7
There are no USB converters that output 24/192 yet. I'm working on one that will be available later this year, but it will not be cheap. Requires two clocks to do all sample-rates because it is async USB.

If you want something decent that will do 24/96 and is async, buy a Tascam US-144.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an "decent external D/A"...(read the first sentence of my post!)
I prefer the Apogee sound over the Benchmark...and a few other engineers as well!

I just need basically "PCI(e)->Coax" 24/192.

I did read your post, and theres no issue with hardware that solves that, except that you're also demanding it sub $100
rolleyes.gif

otherwise, take your pick from any of a dozen or so soundcards
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no USB converters that output 24/192 yet. I'm working on one that will be available later this year, but it will not be cheap. Requires two clocks to do all sample-rates because it is async USB.

If you want something decent that will do 24/96 and is async, buy a Tascam US-144.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Thanks for the headsup! I am definitely interested, regardless; I have heard highly of your experience and work. Is this part of your cooperation with TI? Could you let me know more details (price, outputs)?

What is your opinion of the remark made by Elias of Benchmark concerning the lack of bitperfectness in devices commonly thought to be? True? I believe partially...
PMs welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back