Coaxial digital cables - do they need to be coaxial?
Aug 2, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
So, one area in my system I'm undecided about is my digital cable.  I have a self-made all-furutech parts silver one as well as a professionally crimped blue jeans audio one made of ordinary parts.  They both sound pretty nice.  I am a bit curious as to whether upgrading to something fancier would be worthwhile.

However, I see a few designs out there that don't appear a typical 75 ohm coaxial cable - perhaps twisted pair or similar.  Has anyone tried making a 75 ohm cable that isn't coaxial?

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 6
It's crucial that the cable maintains the requisite 75-ohm impedance - and since impedance is related to the diameter of conductor and shield as well as the composition of the dielectric (insulator), cable geometry is very important. Keeping the cable coaxial makes life a lot easier and avoids several of the issues that other geometries can introduce.

I've made twisted pair cables for temporary use (ie when nothing else was available :wink: ) and the results were not so good...

Specifically, impedance = (138 / e^(1/2)) * log (D/d)

where d = diameter of center conductor
D = inner diameter of cable shield
e = dielectric constant (1 for air, 2.1 for teflon) 

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 6
How could you!

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 6
Uh oh! My bad! Theft was not my intention, I found it elsewhere some time ago
redface.gif

But imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all...

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 6
I've used component video, composite video, subwoofer cables, and rca audio cables of varying thickness for digital coax and never had a problem. Are these all in the 75-ohm category?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back