Coax --> USB
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

seacard

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a USB DAC that I like very much, and would like to be able to use it with my CD transport. Unfortunately, it only has a USB input. Is there any way to convert my transport's coaxial output to the DAC's USB input? (I know there are plenty of devices that go the other way.)

Thanks for any help.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't think so. The opposite direction is quite usual, from USB to SPDIF (coax), but in requested direction no. Maybe some professional studio converter, supposingly more expensive than new DAC with multiple inputs.

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 7

The USB on the MC-3+ USB is input only. Otherwise, it's a fantastic device. I also have the MC-1.1+ which converts anything besides USB to anything besides USB... I agree with your earlier post, there is nothing that I'm aware of that does S/PDIF -> USB.

edited: well, I might be wrong. The manual suggests USB can also be used as output but doesn't discuss it usefully. I'll have to try it at some point.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 7
I looked more closely to Mutec's specs and found out it can't work as USB source for a USB DAC. However, It can operate as USB input for a PC/MAC and in this mode it can receive SPDIF signal and convert as PCM stream for the PC/MAC workstation. Which doesn't really help @seacard , unfortunately.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 7
I looked more closely to Mutec's specs and found out it can't work as USB source for a USB DAC. However, It can operate as USB input for a PC/MAC and in this mode it can receive SPDIF signal and convert as PCM stream for the PC/MAC workstation. Which doesn't really help @seacard , unfortunately.
Yeah this is also what I concluded. It appears it relies on PC drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back