Coax and RCA analog, same thing?
Jul 28, 2003 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
I am embarrased to ask... but I must.

If I wanna connect a DVD player to a receiver using an RCA cable from the coax out/input, will that work?

:shamefrownie

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 7
A coax digital cable = a composite video cable. They're the same thing. Use a spare composite video cable.

Jul 28, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Yup, they're exactly the same thing in prinicpal. Of course, digital cables are often made differently, often using designs much closer to video cables than audio ones, but from a pure standpoint, a normal analog RCA cable will work fine as a digital coax

Jul 28, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalReaper
I am embarrased to ask... but I must.

If I wanna connect a DVD player to a receiver using an RCA cable from the coax out/input, will that work?

:shamefrownie

If you mean an analog RCA cable, yes, it will "work" but the use of the cable in this connection (digital transmission), technically it is incorrect. The impedance character in coax is determined by how much plastic covers the conductor in relation to wire guage size. The air gap between the connector and cable termination will determine the overall impedance character of the cable assembly. Video and digital cables are typically 75 ohm while analog cables are typically 50 ohm. The impedance characteristic of the coax digital interface is typically 75 ohm.

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Actually, it might not even work. Stick with digital cables.

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Video and digital cables are typically 75 ohm while analog cables are typically 50 ohm. The impedance characteristic of the coax digital interface is typically 75 ohm.

Exactly why I recommended him to use a coax video cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Exactly why I recommended him to use a coax video cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Correcto!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back