Cnet's James Kim gone missing?
Dec 9, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #196 of 211
His wife might will regret her entire life to let him go. But this guy is quite something, i offer my utmost respect for him. keep us updated on any donation funds.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #197 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and also the fact that he made a giant "U turn" and was only like a mile from his car...

I recall it was mentioned by Under-Sheriff Brian Anderson during one of the televised news conferences that there wasn't a direct walkable path from where James Kim was found back to the car. I didn't read/hear more about it after that, but it makes sense as search crews weren't able to get into the area that James Kim was ultimately found due to difficult terrain even though it appeared to be near the car.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #198 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...search crews weren't able to get into the area that James Kim was ultimately found due to difficult terrain ...

They weren't able to get into that area sooner, that is.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #199 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe reading an article somewhere (2 years ago)during my history WW2 research (reading a translated scientific article written by japanese unit 731 that their specimens could last on average 3.5 weeks, and they had an anomaly case that lasted 5 weeks) The russians tends last on average longer.

Yup, the rule of thumb is that humans can usually survive at least three weeks without food. After that it depends on the individual. Maximum survival time is around eight weeks.

A person can only survive 2-4 days without water, so that's always the first priority in a survival situation. Food should be secondary to shelter in priority. Don't panic if you can't find food. Most people don't realize they'll be relatively safe for three weeks.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #200 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, the rule of thumb is that humans can usually survive at least three weeks without food. After that it depends on the individual. Maximum survival time is around eight weeks.

A person can only survive 2-4 days without water, so that's always the first priority in a survival situation. Food should be secondary to shelter in priority. Don't panic if you can't find food. Most people don't realize they'll be relatively safe for three weeks.

Calculations start to get tricky when the temperature is cold though because u lose alot of body heat. If i were in that situation, i really would have burnt the whole forest down. And looking at the gruelsome pics of jews and chinese specimens for hypothermia experiment convinced me that i would rather suffocate myself with carbon monoxide then let the cold take my life.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #201 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe reading an article somewhere (2 years ago)during my history WW2 research (reading a translated scientific article written by japanese unit 731 that their specimens could last on average 3.5 weeks, and they had an anomaly case that lasted 5 weeks) The russians tends last on average longer.

The specimens you talked about were living and breathing humans, Chinese civilians and russian POWs. And think about that "anomaly case" who lasted 5 weeks, and how much he had suffered before finally succumbed. I know this forum is supposed to be free of political discussion but sometimes history really makes you wonder about humanity.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #203 of 211
Quote:

found some pretty vicious comments about this at digg

http://digg.com/tech_news/How_to_hel..._CNET_News_com

Everyone has his/her own opinion on how to use his/her money.

Just look deep down to your heart and ask yourself what you should do....

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #204 of 211
This is a very difficult time and the grief and sadness for Cnet is obviously deep and the same with the Kim family. Arguing is inappropriate at this time. Whether you donate or not, it's your choice and your right to decide.

Personally, I'm still shocked how this truly likable guy died. I can see how it's very painful. Even I'm saddened by it.

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #205 of 211
Quote:

found some pretty vicious comments about this at digg

http://digg.com/tech_news/How_to_hel..._CNET_News_com

Aside from the usual internet attention whores, it's hardly vicious. Most of the comments state the basic non-sentimental truth: The Kims don't need our financial help, and there are thousands of other causes that do. If you wish to donate money, there are better options.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #206 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from the usual internet attention whores, it's hardly vicious.

what do you think of this comment from that page? I think it has some element of truth

"Why do we care? It's not that this mans life doesn't matter, but what I'm curious about is why this man is all over digg, cnet, etc when there are millions that die in the very same conditions every single year who DON'T have an entire team out looking for them. They are the nameless homeless people you don't even see who die alone in the cold."

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #207 of 211
Of course there is going to be people that question why he did what he did. However, its not fair to judge when you dont know the circumstances that he was in.

Child could of been sick, need medication. Mother could of been ill, needed something.

However, myself...i would used up every single resource before i left that car. If i read the story correctly, where they found his body, was less then a mile away from the car.

God bless him for doing what he did....even though it wasnt the right move in my eyes, he gave the ultimate sacrifice to save his family.

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #208 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course there is going to be people that question why he did what he did. However, its not fair to judge when you dont know the circumstances that he was in.

Child could of been sick, need medication. Mother could of been ill, needed something.

However, myself...i would used up every single resource before i left that car. If i read the story correctly, where they found his body, was less then a mile away from the car.

God bless him for doing what he did....even though it wasnt the right move in my eyes, he gave the ultimate sacrifice to save his family.

I agree completely. Another thing people here are forgetting is that it is human nature to make poor descions in desperate times. He might not have had a clear head when he chose to leave the car. Keep in mind it was several days before he decided to leave the car.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #210 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calif. man walked 16 miles before dying

His determination is unbelievable. It's unfortunate luck in not on his side.

I have to take my hat off to this truly amazing guy
frown.gif
He will not be forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back