cnet UK claim Denon C751 is 'better' than the C700 - but it's the same model!!
Apr 7, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

soozieq

Headphoneus Supremus
I was amazed to read that cnet and trustedreviews described the Denon AH-C751 as an upgraded model to the C700 when in actual fact they are the SAME earphone!

Even stranger, cnet had already reviewed the C700 and were comparing the C751s to those. They said: Quote:

The most notable upgrade from the C700s is the mid-range performance. The C751s improve significantly in the punchiness of mids -- where the drums, guitars and vocals all reside -- which now have the meatier sound that was missing from the previous model.

What absolute tosh! I called Denon UK today to confirm they were the same earphone, (just to make 100% sure), and was told that the C751 was indeed the C700, but with a case and an extra cable, just as we suspected in the first place. I had them both at the same time and they're the same. I even bought them again recently since I missed the shorter cable and I thought that maybe, maybe, I hadn't let the C751s burn in for long enough. So after 50 hours of burn in, what can I say? They're the same. The midrange is the SAME. Everything's the same
confused.gif

I even wrote about it on the cnet uk site and asked if they knew they were reviewing the same model?? Not surprisingly, they didn’t publish it. I guess because it makes them look stupid?

As far as trustedreviews is concerned, well, one guy reviewed the C700s last year, and a different guy reviewed the C751s very recently, so it's possible they'd have different opinions anyway, but how come no one was aware it was the same model? It makes them look like uninformed idiots.

It reminds me of when the Shure E500 became the SE530, and everyone thought it was an upgraded model, but the only difference was in the accessories.
I can only assume cnet thought the higher number – 751 – must have been the next model ‘up’ from the 700!! I am waiting for them to review the Denon AD-1001 and say it’s ‘better’ than the 1000 due to the higher number!!!

But it's still amusing that both cnet and trustedreviews think the 751s are the 'higher' model and reviewed them as such.

One more reason to take their reviews as a small part of research rather than all of it. Big fried egg on face, or what??

Quote:

Here’s the basic spec for the now ‘old-hat’ C700:
Drive units ø: 11 mm Neodymium magnet
Input impedance: 16 Ω/ohms
Sensitivity: 104 dB/mW
Maximum input: 250 mW
Frequency response: 12 - 24,000 Hz
Weight: 6.6 g (not including cable)

Quote:

And now for the C751 newcomer:
Drive units ø: 11 mm Neodymium magnet
Input impedance: 16 Ω/ohms
Sensitivity: 104 dB/mW
Maximum input: 250 mW
Frequency response: 12 - 24,000 Hz
Weight: 6.6 g (not including cable)

Did you spot the difference? No?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 11
If there are any psychology majors here, I'm sure they can explain it better than me, but as a freshman in college taking psych001 right now, the newer and higher model aspect was probably what made them hear different things. Their expectations were that they would sound better, so what they heard they thought actually was better. Preconceived assumptions can affect things quite a bit. Or maybe perhaps they listened out of different sources?

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 11
This is all from hearsay, but I think cnet is known for taking bribes. I look at that site more as a marketing tool than an honest review database.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there are any psychology majors here, I'm sure they can explain it better than me, but as a freshman in college taking psych001 right now, the newer and higher model aspect was probably what made them hear different things. Their expectations were that they would sound better, so what they heard they thought actually was better. Preconceived assumptions can affect things quite a bit. Or maybe perhaps they listened out of different sources?

If they were under the incorrect assumption the C751 was a 'higher-end' model, I guess they'd expect it to sound better. That's what's so funny, they were obviously fooled by the model number, which meant nothing except that accessories had been included.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they were under the incorrect assumption the C751 was a 'higher-end' model, I guess they'd expect it to sound better. That's what's so funny, they were obviously fooled by the model number, which meant nothing except that accessories had been included.

Amen, SoozieQ!!! I never trusted Cnet 100% I trust them about 60%???
biggrin.gif

You caught them while they were thinking they have gonlden ears! but NOT@@!@!@#!!!

What a embarrassment !! LOL!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you mean placebo? (LOL I haven't taken psych ever in my life)

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean placebo? (LOL I haven't taken psych ever in my life)

Nope
wink.gif
For example, say someone (k this is COMPLETELY made up) perceives people with red shirts to be very intelligent, where people with blue shirts to be unintelligent. If that person meets another person, whether they wear a red/blue shirts will change how they think about them, regardless of whether their actions/behavior is the same in each color shirt. The preconceived assumptions of shirt colors completely changes what they think of the person.

Hope I didn't mess that up
redface.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's newer it's better, I dont understand what you dont get.
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, exactly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back