CNET (Steve Guttenberg) blogs NYC Spring Meet
Mar 25, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, Sennheiser HD880s! WOOT!

Hey all coverage is great as along as they spell .... errr.

Any word from the other Steve Guttenberg?

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, Sennheiser HD880s! WOOT!

I'm glad they skip that silly HD-700 and when directly to the HD-880 for their new ultra secret flagship
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 43
In all fairness to Steve, who is new to audiophile headphones, it was Warrior05's Beyerheiser HD880's. How many people would know of them...even here.
A modded pair with a Sennheiser headband and Beyer drivers.

A mutt, so to speak
smily_headphones1.gif

S2%20Audio%20racks.jpg

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all fairness to Steve, who is new to audiophile headphones, it was Warrior05's Beyerheiser HD880's. How many people would know of them...even here.

A mutt, so to speak
smily_headphones1.gif

S2%20Audio%20racks.jpg

either that, or he was listening to some secret headphones that we didn't know where there....

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A mutt, so to speak
smily_headphones1.gif

"A mutt..."?! That's Mr. Frankenphone to you, sir!
tongue.gif

That's pretty cool - getting an unsolicited blog entry from a high profile site like C-Net. I don't care for their reviews myself but let's keep in mind the big picture, people. Exposure like this, even though he was a bit off on some things
wink.gif
, is a good thing.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CNET needs to pay someone else to claim to be a audiophile and then blog about it.

Yes, shame on him for making it out to a meet and then enthusiastically blogging about it. What a maroon!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

CNET needs to pay someone else to claim to be a audiophile and then blog about it.

What's with the negativity.
confused.gif
Having our meets and our site talked about on major electronics sites are a cool thing!
There were a lot of mistakes made when our last 2 Nationals were reported on
and I don't remember anyone complaining. Why gripe anyway...this is a hobby not the National Debt, sheez
rolleyes.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 43
I'm not griping about Guttenberg attending your meet. Thats really cool actually.

My beef with him, and his "Audiophiliac Blog" is that I have yet to read anything he's written that, to me, shows he's qualified to call himself an audiophile and expert on home theater/audio. What little I've read of his works, he sounds like a typical, run of the mill, barely acquainted with audio, dime a dozen online forum member.

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

I'm not griping about Guttenberg attending your meet. Thats really cool actually.

My beef with him, and his "Audiophiliac Blog" is that I have yet to read anything he's written that, to me, shows he's qualified to call himself an audiophile and expert on home theater/audio. What little I've read of his works, he sounds like a typical, run of the mill, barely acquainted with audio, dime a dozen online forum member.

As opposed to your exalted self -- personally anointed by Fidelius, god of accurate musical reproduction?

No wonder most people think "audiophile" is a synonym for "*********".

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

What jumped out at me was how he thinks the $570 Woo Audio 6 is a bargain.

It's a couple TV vertical deflection tubes and a simple circuit. They probably spent $100 on the power transformers and casework, and $20 on the tubes.

But whatever. It's hard to put a price on quality and hey, maybe it's actually a really good amp. How the heck would i know?

What makes me lose any respect for WooAudio that i might have had was this blurb on their webpage:

Quote:

Brief Introduction to 6DE7:
6DE7 is a dual triode tube, consisting of one drive triode and one power triode. Its performance is similar to a combination of a 6SN7 and a 2A3.

And, sure, the 6DE7 is a bit like a 6sn7 and a 2a3. if by "similar to" they mean "about half the power of".

Why did they have to stretch the truth?

See the specs for yourself here:

NJ7P Tube Database Search
NJ7P Tube Database Search

The 2a3 has a maximum plate current of about 60ma, where the 6de7's power triode has a maximum plate current of about 35ma.

If it needed to be more powerful than it is, why didn't they use the 6de7's big brother - the 6ew7?

Apparently it's good enough. It's abundantly obvious that TV tubes are good at this. similar to a 2A3 indeed.

Why does selling audio components always have to be about stretching the truth until you're almost telling a lie?

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As opposed to your exalted self -- personally anointed by Fidelius, god of accurate musical reproduction?

No wonder most people think "audiophile" is a synonym for "*********".

Are we mudslinging now? I make no claims to be a wise and sage audio expert. All I know is that I rarely come to this forum, or brush up on headphones, and even I know that there is no Sennheiser 880.

Guttenberg's overall tone seems to be one that is not the most familiar with audio.

Anyways, I probably am a *********, but not for reasons anyone here is aware of.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Are we mudslinging now? I make no claims to be a wise and sage audio expert. All I know is that I rarely come to this forum, or brush up on headphones, and even I know that there is no Sennheiser 880.

I does say Sennheiser and HD880 on it, so give him a break on that at least. Do you know every obscure model Sennheiser ever released. If I saw it not knowing what it was, I'd assume it was something I never heard of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back