CNET reviews iaudio X5
Jul 22, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Seems like they lay out their structure for a review score at the end...I don't get that comment.

And this is different than so many other review sites/people's opinions because....?

It seems clear to me that the Iaudio's features have considerable ease of use/performance issues. Not being able to browse by artist, album, or genre should knock a player down a point right away in my opinion. I think too often people who are very computer or technology savvy don't get that the general population isn't and then criticize them for not liking features that require too much knowledge (for someone who doesn't care that much) to use.

On the Cnet front, it's like Bose bashing around here...everything is always bad. While I agree with Bose based on the equipment I've heard, this review is not unreasonable to me. And I imagine other reviews are fine also.

I wonder if I'm the only one tired of people who jump on trendy "bashing" of whatever. It's obvious and boring...and in this case (imo) wrong.

Why should not having a id3 tag database be so bad as to lose a point in a review?
Drag and drop is a lot easier than the upload programs which are needed for (most) id3 database DAPs, don't tell me the general population who use a comp can not use win explorer.

P.S: The only people who call other people bashers are fanboys.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by The D
Why should not having a id3 tag database be so bad as to lose a point in a review?

Because the average person isn't going to find the alternative as easy. So products like these are for more of a niche audience. That's why Apple dominates the DAP market....they understand the more simple, mass market audience and what appeals to them (attractiveness, ease of use).

Quote:

P.S: The only people who call other people bashers are fanboys.

Are you calling me a fanboy or making a statement? Either way, I don't agree.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

don't tell me the general population who use a comp can not use win explorer.

As a support person, I'm telling you. The general population are idiots with technology.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 32
Forums > review sites. Lock this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #20 of 32
I agree with that...if you get deep into any hobby with enough of a following, the right forums are better. However, if you're a member of the group who doesn't care to spend the time/energy to learn about all the alternatives, many of the criticized review sites are fine.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

I agree with that...if you get deep into any hobby with enough of a following, the right forums are better. However, if you're a member of the group who doesn't care to spend the time/energy to learn about all the alternatives, many of the criticized review sites are fine.

People who don't care to spend the time/energy to learn about stuff are at a disadvantage... are you promoting inferority?
confused.gif
icon10.gif
jk. Just had to add that.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #22 of 32
You could really go into any aspect of your life and find better alternatives. I think it's about prioritizing those that are most important. You could spend all day every day trying to find the absolute best of various things (food, drink, various forms of entertainment, etc.). I can't blame people much who go Bose or Ipod or whatever is popular and easy and suits their needs.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Are you calling me a fanboy or making a statement? Either way, I don't agree.

Both.

The bashing line is a last grab at straws by a fanboy to rationalize that other people are only saying bad stuff about what they (the fanboy) owns because they have a pre-existing hate of it.

And BTW I am geting sick of it.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Both.

The bashing line is a last grab at straws by a fanboy to rationalize that other people are only saying bad stuff about what they (the fanboy) owns because they have a pre-existing hate of it.

And BTW I am geting sick of it.

That's fascinating. How does your example apply to me, and what exactly am I a fanboy of?

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

That's fascinating. How does your example apply to me, and what exactly am I a fanboy of?

You said that people only bash Cnet because it is "cool", that is not true.
I read Cnet every day (along with other places like Dapreview and here)
Cnet seems to know very little about a lot of things, they are always out of line with DAP reviews vs most other sites. They are just generally a bad review site, there is nothing more to it.

P.S: Calling you a fanboy was a bit harsh, but i hope you get where i am coming from.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

You said that people only bash Cnet because it is "cool", that is not true.
I read Cnet every day (along with other places like Dapreview and here)
Cnet seems to know very little about a lot of things, they are always out of line with DAP reviews vs most other sites. They are just generally a bad review site, there is nothing more to it.

P.S: Calling you a fanboy was a bit harsh, but i hope you get where i am coming from.

I do get where you're coming from now. I just didn't get the fanboy comment...I don't have a feeling for Cnet one way or the other. And even if I have products I love, I can always point out their strengths/weaknesses and don't bash competing products (unless I've tried them and really dislike them).

"You said that people only bash Cnet because it is "cool", that is not true."

I don't think I said that at all, you're inferring that. But I do think people who say that every review Cnet does is bad are wrong, whether it's because they like being on the cool bash thread or just don't like the site. I'm not saying the site is good, I'm saying the response to this review (from SOME) is indicative of not being happy with the site no matter what they say.

I really don't get the vicious response to the Iaudio review...they praised the sound, but thought the features were cumbersome and not user friendly. They still gave the product a very good rating , and noted it would be an 8 player after the firmware upgrade. That doesn't seem completely out of line to me.

I think that because we at head-fi are concerned with sound, it would almost automatically be a much higher rated player to us. And then you factor in the Cnet loathing, and it contributes to the critique of the review.

I've been seriously evaluating getting an Iaudio X5, I'm just not sure how much my Ipod would be worth with it's various scratches. While I like the Ipod, the bass has always been lacking and I wonder if the X5 would be more fun (less neutral). The file directory thing bothers me though.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

"You said that people only bash Cnet because it is "cool", that is not true."

I don't think I said that at all, you're inferring that. But I do think people who say that every review Cnet does is bad are wrong, whether it's because they like being on the cool bash thread or just don't like the site. I'm not saying the site is good, I'm saying the response to this review (from SOME) is indicative of not being happy with the site no matter what they say.

But you did say it just then.
Quote:

I really don't get the vicious response to the Iaudio review...they praised the sound, but thought the features were cumbersome and not user friendly. They still gave the product a very good rating , and noted it would be an 8 player after the firmware upgrade. That doesn't seem completely out of line to me.

But they gave the Sony HD5 a higher score than the X5, yet the HD5 has to deal with SS, does not have anywhere near the amount features the X5 has, not as good SQ ect. They seem to give a player a much higher score if it has a database even though the rest of the player is worse than a file tree player with better features and better SQ Quote:

I've been seriously evaluating getting an Iaudio X5, I'm just not sure how much my Ipod would be worth with it's various scratches. While I like the Ipod, the bass has always been lacking and I wonder if the X5 would be more fun (less neutral). The file directory thing bothers me though.

File trees are easy.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #28 of 32
Let me add some emphasis so that you see what I meant....

The D, "You said that people only bash Cnet because it is "cool", that is not true."

Blitz: "I don't think I said that at all, you're inferring that. But I do think people who say that every review Cnet does is bad are wrong, whether it's because they like being on the cool bash thread or just don't like the site. I'm not saying the site is good, I'm saying the response to this review (from SOME) is indicative of not being happy with the site no matter what they (Cnet) say."

The file trees could be easy...I wish I could demo an X5 nearby. There's a head-fi meet in the area a couple of weekends from now, but I'll be out of town then.

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #29 of 32
Proud owner of both iPOD 5 GB & iaudio X5.
I am a serious Mac fan for as long as they have been in existence. Every computer in my house and workplace is a Mac. iAudio beats ipod as far as sound is concerned. I hardly use my ipod anymore ever since i bought x5.
X5 sounds has phenomenal clarity even with MP3. I have not converted my music to FLAC yet. I hope to see some good accessories in next few months , every damn company is focussed on making some or the other $hit for ipods.
I am happy for my investment but sad that my ipod will join the list of other partially used gadgets.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #30 of 32
Ive used sites like CNET as A(not THE) resource over the years as a great place to get information as a STARTING point for any research. I never took what they had to say as the end-all be-all. You really have to weed through the customer reviews too until you find someone who ACTUALLY owns what they are writing a review about.

And so its come that I ask myself "How does CNET make money?". Advertising you say. Probably. I think its more like backdoor money for better reviews.

Not for nothing, but Id like to see how much stock someone at CNET owns of Apple. Im pretty sure that they get a lot of money to say something (X) is better than comparison (Y) but never the BEST out there. Think on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back