Cnet Review of Grado SR60
Feb 23, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 20
It's easy-to-read review, hopefuly this will convert more people to our religion. SR-60's are good cans to start with.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 20
ouch, only a 7.4?

Feb 24, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 20
I beat you 19 minutes to the story in a different thread, but oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 20
First off, cnet has never rated any headphones above an 8.0.
Secondly, cnet reviewed the three lower-model Grados (SR-60, SR-80 and SR-125) at the same time - and gave the "Editors Choice" rating to the SR-125.

Feb 24, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

rock-solid bass

That's funny.

Feb 24, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 20
I dunno why everyone has a problem with the Grado SR-60 and BASS - I find it more than sufficient and clean - almost everybody else has complained about the "lack" of BASS.

Either they need better portables or they need better ears...

Does anyone else here feel that the SR-60 provides inadequate bass??
confused.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 20
Its not that the bass isn't clean and tight, its just that its not there. Grados suck the life out of songs with important bass. I guess it just depends on the kind of music you listen to - to get the bass to a somewhat acceptable level on the Grados, I was risking ear damage from those killer highs!

But then again, I realize that I enjoy a thicker sound anyway. They are very thin sounding to me.

Feb 24, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 20
Actually, they (cnet) found the SR-60 to have "big bass". True, the higher models do sound better, but the detail that they deliver can be a bit distracting for listening on the go.

And I've listened to way too many bass-heavy cans that actually suck the life out of music by having that sloppy, boomy bass almost completely overpower what little midrange and treble that they really deliver.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, by the way, different strokes... for different folks. I was never a big fan of the Audio Technica line of headphones - not even the high-end ones; in fact, all of them sounded to me like the midrange on them is scooped out. And the Koss Porta Pro, though my first "good" pair of portable headphones, always sounded a bit grainy for my tastes.

Feb 24, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 20
i never thought my SR60s were short on bass. it is not thumping, pounding bass, but it is definately very musical if only a slight drop-off in the lower bass region. i'm very sure the higher Grado models have better bass extension. that said, the SR60's actually has a slight exaggeration in the mid-bass region; not accurately flat but it helps compensating some of the bass lost when listening portably.

all in all, IMO i think the SR60's are one of the most musical budget cans i've come across, they sound great with almost any portable source, and have a s-u-p-e-r-w-i-d-e soundstage.

besides, they were my very first serious pair of cans.
biggrin.gif
i loved them then and i still love them now.

Feb 24, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
I dunno why everyone has a problem with the Grado SR-60 and BASS - I find it more than sufficient and clean - almost everybody else has complained about the "lack" of BASS.

Either they need better portables or they need better ears...

Does anyone else here feel that the SR-60 provides inadequate bass??
confused.gif

i think the bass is very good. although they sound perfectly fine out of the headphone jack of a PCDP or MD player, the bass becomes so much tighter and refined with a headphone amp. i actually prefer the 60 over the 80.

Feb 24, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 20
hee hee... i just realized the reviewer for all the Grado phones on CNET is named Steve Guttenberg.
very_evil_smiley.gif

"Mahoney... recommend me some commanding cans!"

Feb 24, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #15 of 20
It was a reasonably well-done review. Guttenberg basically reiterated the same things that many of us have said about the SR 60s at one time or another. That is, we like the retro styling, their low price, and their efficiency, but dislike how they become uncomfortable after wearing them for extended periods.

He wrote a few things that I disagreed with, though. For instance, I wonder if he's mistaking "big bass" and "rock-solid bass" with a kind of hollow boominess (my opinion). Also, he mentions paying a bit more to get the SR 80s, which he assumes are better headphones, by default. Some people prefer the slightly brighter sound of the SR 80, some don't.

Anyway, it was a decent review for a webzine wonk.
tongue.gif

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back