CNet Review of Ety ER-4P
Mar 8, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 11
Cnet certainly has taken an interest in headphones lately. I'm glad to see that they were not given the typical 8.0 rating.
etysmile.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Does Steve Guttenberg review everything???

he has a lot of free time since they stopped making police academy sequels.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Ugh! It's funny that they think the cheapest price you can find ER-4Ps is $300-$330 when just a few minutes of searching online will yield the price of $250 from many retailers (Headroom, TTVJ)--not to even mention that they can be had for $220 from Idealsound. The writers of CNet have again proven themselves to be completly inept morons.

Sorry for being so harsh but CNet has proven itself as THE source for mediocre, half baked reviews from clueless writers for many years now. I feel sorry for people who take their reviews seriously. I'm suprised they are still in business.

Mar 8, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Patrickhat2001
Ugh! It's funny that they think the cheapest price you can find ER-4Ps is $300-$330 when just a few minutes of searching online will yield the price of $250 from many retailers (Headroom, TTVJ)--not to even mention that they can be had for $220 from Idealsound. The writers of CNet have again proven themselves to be completly inept morons.

Sorry for being so harsh but CNet has proven itself as THE source for mediocre, half baked reviews from clueless writers for many years now. I feel sorry for people who take their reviews seriously. I'm suprised they are still in business.

I think it's a bit short sided to expect Cnet to know as much about headphones as those who have frequent a site totally dedicated to headphones for years...they're a consumer website, that does reviews for consumers. The average consumer will find that review more useful then a fully detailed review posted here...as was stated earlier, anything that exposes the masses to something other then sony ex71's and bose triports is a good thing

Mar 8, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Does Steve Guttenberg review everything???

Including Polic Academy movies? or Cocoon?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by some1x
Is he really the same one??

no.

Mar 8, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Okay, okay I was a little hard on CNet. I took a look through their site to today and I must say it is much improved from a year ago. They actually do give fairly decent background information on the headphones they review and their information about the different types of headphones (what they call "full sized"--circumaural or superaural--and earbuds--actually earcanal phones alone with earbuds) is decent as well. I take back what I said about their writers being completely inept morons.
biggrin.gif

But they still need to improve in many areas. True, their review style is short-and-sweet and that's cool--it's their trademark--but they focus too much on other aspects of the phones and not enough on the sound quality--usually only 1/4 (many times less) of their reviews focus on the sound from the headphones. They are also painfully inexperienced--I don't know about you but I expect someone who gets paid to right reviews on a subject to be VERY knowledgeable and experienced with that subject matter. The reviewers at CNet (of which Mr. Guttenburg seems the most noticeable as of late) are total newbs and it's obvious--in one of Mr. Guttenburg's reviews he cites the Sr60s as being his "reference" quality phones. Sr60s are great and all (I love them) but only someone inexperienced in headphones would consider them "reference" quality. I'm not saying that CNet should start reviewing HD650s, RS-1s, etc. but, I think those people who get paid to guide the headphone purchases of others should be familiar with how the best headphones sound. I would demand that any film critic watch many of the supposed best-of-the-best movies before he/she even thought about doing film criticism for a living. I would expect the same from someone who reviews headphones (or any other such equipment) and gets paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back